Reading " Crisis of Consience", What did you Learn, How did it affect you?

by flipper 26 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

I never knew of the Malawi/Mexico issues before reading CofC. I was surpised at the lack of prayer and preparation that went into GB meetings. All in all it confirmed what I already knew: they whole thing is a sham.

changeling

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Didnt read it. Not going to read it. Dont need to. Sorry Ray.

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks so much for all your replies. It will give lots of newbies and others something to think about towards perhaps reading the book. Another thought or two I wanted to inject here.

First , when getting near the end of the book I found it really made a just anger rise up in me to see the political games which were played against Ray when he was trying to be honest and forthcoming to the governing body and elders dealing with his circumstance down south, was it Alabama or someone mentioned Georgia? can't remember. Anyway , the letters he wrote to the governing body were so reasonable that a child could understand them, but the governing body just shined them on like they were barely written at all. Also those bastard elders he was dealing with down south were a bunch of hypocrites in that they were associating with dfed and dissassociated witnesses, but were getting on Ray's case for eating lunch with his dissassociated employer!

It convinced me that the judicial system is seriously flawed in the witnesses, (which I already knew from personal experience) but just drove it home more firmly to me

• snowbird
    snowbird
    was it Alabama

Yep. Rainbow City, Alabama, suburb of Gadsden, in Etowah County. We hardly got a ripple down here in the Black Belt. But I knew from all the whispering and veiled comments that something had gone terribly wrong. I don't know why I didn't walk then.

Snowbird

• Mincan
    Mincan

It helped me have mental fuel for my escape, I read it about 2 months after I had made the decision to leave. It also helped me become pompous and proud when it came to the witnesses. This has not lasted. Instead, I now lament my wasted up until this point (which is it's entirety) life, the cognitive dissonance this causes, and I berate myself for being duped my entire life.

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

I read it, I'll have to read it again. There is a lot of "political" jargon and some parts were difficult for me to understand. In general it is very interesting. Did it affect me? It made me realize that I wasn't alone. Lots of things he mentioned, the service report, the decisions on your personal and intimate life and else were right on the money. I felt uneasy about those things before, I just did what I was suppose to do without questioning anything.

• flipper
    flipper

SNOWBIRD- Thanks for giving me the states name I was looking for Alabama. Don't blame yourself for taking so long to leave the org. We all needed time to prove it to ourselves that the org. was wrong.

MINCAN- I agree with you, it sucks when we find out we were decieved. But, don't blame yourself, it was the witness organization that did this to you, the governing body and their court jesters who pulled a fast one on us all. I'm glad for you that you got out at 20. Shows you were smarter than me at that age. Took me until 44 to be brave enough to finally get out. You are a brave man, buddy.

CINDI67- Yes, the book did help us to see we are not alone. I think we all did what we were supposed to do as years went on, not questioning the org. However, that being said, the book helped me see the need to use my mind and question everything

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit