good enough translation?

by gotcha 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gotcha
    gotcha

what's a good enough bible translation to use..? how abt the new american bible?

• accuracy
    accuracy

If you're Catholic, the NAB is fine. Otherwise, you might try the NASB (New American Standard Bible) or even the NKJV (New King James Version).

• gotcha
    gotcha

thanks...is there a bible which is not biasedly translatedly ?(guess not)

• accuracy
    accuracy

I doubt that any translator or group of translators functions from a vacuum, but rather from supposition pools based on their training and theology. Thus, a translation produced by Jews will differ in some points from one made by Christians. And among Christians, there will be differences according to theology: Catholic, Evangelical, conservative Christian, etc. And among those differing theologies, some translators prefer to render word-for-word, others thought-for-thought. Some translate literally, some paraphrase.

One may, however, have recourse to the best available Hebrew and Greek critical texts, but these are also determined by committee and consensus. There are no original manuscripts in existence. On the basis of what is available, a serious student can either read the texts for what they say in plain translation, or accept an understanding that is theologized. Even with that, there appear to be some basic readings to which all agree....or, nearly so.

• gotcha
    gotcha

thanks for your reply...i would like to ask..what do u use personally? and are u involved in any kind of religion right now? in your opinion is taking the bible as it is better than engaging in exegesis/hermenuetics?

• accuracy
    accuracy

I use many different Bible versions for study, but prefer those that are basically literal, such as the New American Standard Version. Paraphrases or "dynamic equivalence" versions can offer valuable insights sometimes, but are also more prone to individual interpretation. My basic belief is that the Bible is the Word of God in its original, and although we do not have those originals today, translations that try as much as possible to recover those originals are the most suitable for study.

Exegesis and hermeneutics are also good tools in their place, which is to try to uncover possibilities and proper understandings. So long as their findings are not treated as infallible, but merely as probable, they are useful.

My religion? I am, or am trying to be, simply a Christian.

• Bang
    Bang

I think Catholic versions will have books that are usually left out since the protestant reformation. Since that there have commonly been 66 books in Bibles, whereas I think Cathlics have long had 73. Try an RSV as well.

Bang

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Gotcha, if you can find a Tyndal, that is supposed to be the best translation around. So I've been told by many.

"I don't want someone in my life I can live with, I want someone in my life I can't live without."

• Satanus
    Satanus

Gotcha

When i was furiously studying the bible for myself, i settled on the nrsv as an allpurpose version, the living bible for reading enjoyment and the amplified for word comparisons.

• gotcha
    gotcha

thanks for all the suggestions!! i'll try to get hold of those bibles...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit