What do JWs think of Mormons?

by lavendar 23 Replies latest jw friends

• BrentR
    BrentR

I have several friends that are LDS and I must say that they do not try to stuff any religion down anyones throat. When the guys come to my door I usually strike up a conversation about how I also used to have to beat on doors and how much I hated it. Then they tell me how much they hate it and will be glad when thier mission is over. LDS should make me a "do not call" because I tell them how great it is to be out of a cult like religion and be able to think on my own. We have had some great conversations but not about what they are supposed to be talking about. Almost all of them are just going through the motions until thier two years are up.

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Why would they instruct JWs not to mention Mormons? That's a new one to me. Any reasoning on this, anybody?

I'd really like to know.

Thanks,

Susan

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Anyway what I read recently was that originally the WTS was created by someone who then believed in the Occult-hence the name cult. That is the connection perhaps.

There is little connection betwixt the word cult and occult except for the last 4 letters

Latin: Cultus: Worship; from the past participle of colere, to cultivate.

Latin: Occultus: Hidden, secret, to conceal.

Cults can have occultic connections but cults are not necessarily occultic.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think JW's have to lump Mormons in with all of Christendom. They feel all of it is wrong, except
    their own teachings. The literature likes to pick on Catholicism mostly- the mainest of mainstream
    religion in Christendom. Mormons are hardly ever mentioned.

I feel the reason for that is that the WTS doesn't want to point at a cult and say "CULT!" Making
    the members think about what makes a cult might make them examine their own religion. Even the
    "What is a cult?" magazine focused on all the stereotypes that WTS said didn't apply to themselves
    without pointing to Mormons.

I think the GB are jealous of the Mormon cult because they managed to mainstream their cult.

I also think the Mormons are a super-cult in comparison to WTS. They need to be taken more seriously.
    Their mainstream effort and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir makes people believe they are okay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit