When will the knee jerk reactions stop?

by Bobbi 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

I answered my door yesterday and there was one of my neighbors. He has a couple of boxes with him and says Hi, Just call me Santa". He had gotten some extra stuff from him work and thought we could use it ( cereal and granola bars)

The funny part was my reaction. Because my kids answered the door with me ( little fiends wouldn't want to miss anything) I almost said "We don't believe in Santa". Last year i would have said it and now I realize how arrogant it sounds.

So when will these automatic reactions stop? Am I doomed?

Bobbi

• eclipse
    eclipse

Hhahaha awww Bobbi, I hear you

Just goes to show how deep the programming is!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Ah - now we know what you're talking about :-)

This might be a lame idea but how about practising saying out loud what you'd really want to reply to some questions/situations?

Kinda retraining your reactions/responses.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Force of habit, right? I know, I know!

• Gregor
    Gregor

When I first escaped I wished everybody a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Felt great!

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I say "Bless You" even when people cough...LOL.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    When I first escaped I wished everybody a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Felt great!

me too, I still do and I always say, "Bless you" when someone sneezes - just because I can ;-)

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

I should also mention that my adoptive non JW family has arranged for me to celebrate my birthday with one of their daughters. So, for the first time in my memory, I am celebrating my B-day and I have to buy a gift for Amber as well. I am completely at a loss on how to behave and what to get. I am also very touched to have such great friends.

Bobbi

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    for the first time in my memory, I am celebrating my B-day and I have to buy a gift for Amber as well. I am completely at a loss on how to behave and what to get. I am also very touched to have such great friends.

Ah! well just enjoy it, you'll have a great time if you just let go of all those years of brainwashing...lol. Sounds harder when writen down, but I know once I let go of all of that, I've learned to just live and enjoy making up for all the lost celebrations in my past ;-) Picking out gifts isn't so hard if you know what kinds of things that person likes. Gift certificates are also great! That's very cool they're having a party for you I hope you have a great time!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

ditto Gregor and Misanthropic !

I start singing Christmas songs in August too. The more I 'retrain' my brain to accept normal, the sooner I will get there. Though Wifey insists that normal might not be a word used in connection with me all that often. LOL

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit