Aging

by freeme 20 Replies latest jw friends

• freeme
    freeme

Hi!

Since im a teenager there is one thing that never ceases to scare and fascinate me. Aging. As a witness i didnt think much about, but since i started thinking it gives me shudders. I just saw an Elvis clip when he was a young man some minutes before cos' of the 30th anniversary of his death. Thats why im posting this. It reminds me of that.

Its the fact that an old person was a young one in a blink of an eye before. When i was a kid i somehow saw older ones like a different species ;) until i realized that i will be some of them in some time. As i grow older i see that this process is damn fast. Im 26, but i feel like a week or two has passed since i was 18.

So whenever i see those 80 year olds walking down the street slowly i see that they were exactly like me some years ago. They ran, they thought they are the greatest generation of all time so young they'll never get old. They flirtet, they were in style, they were beautiful. They were the young rebels. Wow, how cool they were. Damnit... were did all that went when i see that 80 year old crawling down the street?

It gives me the conclusion that there is no difference between a 80year old and a 18 year old at all. They both live in the same era of time and with a slight difference in when being born. It gives me a lump in the throat and water to the eyes to write this.

i can someone relate to my thoughts? i cant explain it better, but i think if you know what i mean you will recognize :-)

freeme

ps.: i wasnt sure where to post this... its not completely jw unrelated but neither really jw related...

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Many years ago, I asked my 82 year old great uncle, if he felt 82. His answer has stayed with me for a long time. He said,"I feel 18".

Now, as a grey haired man of 53, father of 5, grandfather of 4, I understand him.

I still feel 18...it's just that old bastard in the mirror, every morning, that keeps telling me I'm not.

He really pi$$es me off.

• freeme
    freeme

stealth! yeah, actually thats what i mean.

i cant stop thinking about that stuff even though i know i wont ever come to a conclusion somehow.

i fear aging a bit. but... uh... generations of young ppl did it before and survived it (uhm... yes... actually they died of it... i hope you know what i mean lol).

i still hope i got that unique genetic error that switched off aging in me =D

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

The thing is, to use a sorta rude example...

As a pup, I saw older folks taking reading material into the smallest room with them and wondered what was with that, I mean you go in, fire one off, and come back out. easy peasy.

I thought they must be just wanting time to themselves.

Then I got further along down the road and found out the hard way, if you don't wait it out, you'll be going back a lot for further installments. Reading material is just to pass the time until you are sure you're done.

Now I look at folks older than myself and am watching for what will come. Now I know they ain't always off their rocker, aging brings changes and it pays to keep an eye on the road ahead.

You can feel 18 all you want, but you should still bring a reader's digest into the biffy!

I remember when I looked into the mirror and saw that the frsh-faced teen I thought I still was had been replaced. 'Who's the old guy?' I thought to myself. As the years progressed I began to realize it was my father poking through more and more with every day.

There's times I say something and realize I sound just like him and it breaks my heart because I miss him so.

As a kid I used to go visit aunts and uncles, now all these households are no more, and the people who made them up are all dead. Places I've lived or gone to school have been demolished, and are no more.

I'm not even THAT old, so I view the coming years with no small amount of trepidation, is the worst over, or is there to be MORE obliteration of the world I knew?

Eh, we all play the cards we are dealt.

RD

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    So whenever i see those 80 year olds walking down the street slowly i see that they were exactly like me some years ago. They ran, they thought they are the greatest generation of all time so young they'll never get old. They flirtet, they were in style, they were beautiful. They were the young rebels.

I work with a man in his mid-late 80's, George Griffin. He is one of the funniest, brightest people I've ever met. He can tell the best stories,...and they are his real life stories. He's lived right here in this same town all his life. He's told me stories of when his mom died when he was 7yrs old....from something that is now treatable. Stories of being 15 and catching stray animals to practice medical procedures on, his dad was a vet.

But he very current and modern. I love working and talking with him..I could just listen for hours.

This is his grandson: http://www.griffinhousemusic.com/

lisa

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    reader's digest into the biffy

hahahaha....*thinks about the stack of reader's digest in the bathroom*

lisa

• tenderheart
    tenderheart

hi, live life to the fullest, travel the world,find your passion, make good freinds, find the love of your life, have children when your older, they give life meaning,

you will always feel 18, even if your body betrays you when you get old, but if you have had a life full of adventures good freind wonderfull children and even grandchildren, you will feel it has been worthwhile, and you will always have some thing to live for.

i wish you love and happinness in the adventure of life tenderheart :)

• Undecided
    Undecided

I'm almost 72 and when I see those 80 year olds walking along with a cane it scares me too, especially when I feel those joints beginning to go bad. Also when you look at your skin and see a few age spots and your skin is beginning to look different and just a little punch from almost anything will make you bleed and leave a brown spot for ages, but in your mind you are still 18. I still look like I'm in my late 50s, at least everyone guesses my age that way. Life is still fun though even if your turd cutter doesn't work like it did, as well as a few other things. I never even thought about it when I was in my 50s but when it hits you in the face you just have to deal with it. If you have kids they can make life worth living or cause a lot of pain but gives you someone to love which is one of lifes greatest gifts.

Enjoy every day you can and create some good memories, they last forever.

Ken P.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

George Burns had a hit song " I Wish I Was 18 Again!" Frank Sinatra had a song that counted up the years, ' when I was 17, when I was 33, when I was 42, etc. I forget the title.

Frank also had a monster hit with "I Did It My Way!" And now the time is here I've reached the final curtain....

I'm 62 years young, however I'm not the same as I was when I was 18.

Hank Williams Jr."All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down..."

Blueblades

• changeling
    changeling

I've never met a 26 year old teenager before! LOL

Anyway, here's my two cents: embrace everyday and live life fully. I can't avoid growing older (and I don't like the alternative), but I refuse to grow "old".

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit