When did we stop being customers and start being consumers?

by truthseeker 14 Replies latest jw friends

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

We became consumers when all we cared about was price, and we drove the mom and pops out of business. In favor of big corporations, like Walmart, Guitar Center, Best Buy, etc. Then now, we are shopping for everything online to save even more money, because now we can eliminate jobs, of those store clerks that used to help us.

Price is important, BUT, service has always out weighed it in the grand scheme of things. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Every time we choose Walmart or large corp. over a local store, we feed the beast of consumerism.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Unfortunately, I am just as much of a consumer as the next person.

What about trying to get people (especially women) to develop a desire for beauty products we don't really need. For instance: artificial nails. I realize there are so many products that are sold to women in the western world. Just about all of these products are related to beauty and image. When I think of all the money I spent over the years it makes me sick!

LHG

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    When did we stop being customers and start being consumers?

When we allowed corporations to believe they were doing us a favour by selling us their products and services at exhorbitant prices. Quality has gone down the toilet and so has customer service, yet we continue to buy things we don't really need. Instead of thanking us for our business, we now say "thank you" to surly "customer service" reps when they finally muddle through counting out and handing us our change.

W

• poppers
    poppers

This video addresses this very issue (if someone could make it active that would be great):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2637635365191428174&q=The+Century+of+the+self&total=898&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2

It's called the Century of the Self - it's very interesting, produced by BBC.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I would say 1981. Or when ever Ronald Regan got elected. And destroyed the Unions. And the United States. And started shipping American jobs out of the country. And then deffinitely when the Ding Bats father came along with his New World order and 7 points of light. The hypnotic effect was evoked and the trance took hold on the masses.

We are here to provide energy and dedication for our owners.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit