Blaming People for their Cancer

by rebel8 14 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

Just heard someone has cancer, and the dubbies are busy trying to determine which by type of "immorality" the person gave themselves cancer.

Having been on the receiving end of this most heartless behavior in the past, I theorized:

(a) They never miss an opportunity to point out they're morally superior, so they can fuel their very fragile egos.

(b) They are afraid that serious disease is striking so close to home, and they're madly pretending they are bulletproof because they aren't like the sick person.

(c) They have never developed the social skills necessary to handle situations like this appropriately, and are at the emotional maturity level of a self-centered child.

Obviously, as a person who works in health care, I know some behaviors cause disease and spend a lot of my day trying to get people to stop the risky behavior(s) or to never start--and I am passionate about that. BUT I would *never never never* be so cold as to go around telling patients' families--or the patients themselves, as they did to me--that it is their fault they are sick. What good could that possibly do?

Another shining example of borgalicious "lack of love".

What do you think?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I can't imagine any Witness I know acting like that.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think your right, Rebel.

• BFD
    BFD
    sb said: I can't imagine any Witness I know acting like that.

I can't imagine any witness NOT acting like that when it comes to HIV/AIDS.

BFD

• kid-A
    kid-A

This is classic JW behaviour, and you have hit the nail on the head regarding the underlying psychological motivations.

This seems to be an extension of the prototypical JW mindset seeking to search and uncover underlying "worldly" evil, at every turn. Having said that, I have

only observed this in JWs referring to the cancer or disease-state of a non-JW....obviously if a "worldly" person gets cancer or some other dreaded disease, they

somehow 'deserved' it due to their debauched lifestyle.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's a very stupid way to look at things because the JWs themselves are not immune from cancer or any disease and they have similar rates of these diseases as the general population. What will they say when a loyal obedient dub gets cancer?

• Mary
    Mary
    Just heard someone has cancer, and the dubbies are busy trying to determine which by type of "immorality" the person gave themselves cancer.

WTF??!! OK, this is a new one for me. 'Immorality' causes cancer eh? It's a good thing no one ever suggested that to me when I was first diagnosed, or I would have knocked their teeth down their throats.

I'm really trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here, and I hope this might just be a 'local' problem. In my area, I truly have never heard of any Dubs trying to pin 'immorality' on the reason someone gets cancer. One of the elders' wives I know died last year. She was a very healthy person, didn't smoke, do drugs (obviously), ate right, not a big drinker, exercised. She had Stage 4 colon cancer before she ever realized what was going on and was dead 6 weeks later. No one suggested that she got this from being 'immoral', in fact, during the funeral talk, the elder actually said "Why did this happen? From what we know, it was genetic (cancer ran on both sides of her family) and 'time and unforeseen occurances befall us all."

If the Dubs in your area are indeed trying to blame someone's cancer on 'immorality', I would be disgusted even more than usual at them. And I didn't think that was possible.

• rebel8
    rebel8

<--------I think I am in the fundie jw capital of the universe!

Or maybe they have some old "Golden Age" articles in their head (although no one has mentioned aluminum pans.)

I really hate these people's values, more and more. I never want to be that ignorant, ever again.

• wednesday
    wednesday

a person I know was suspect of having been immoral b/c she had a hysterectomy.

I made sure I reminded that person of what she'd said when SHE then had to have a hysterectomy.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    I made sure I reminded that person of what she'd said when SHE then had to have a hysterectomy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit