JWs and the fear of death

by greendawn 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

You could expand your statement to include Christianity and the fear of death. Many Christian religions milk for all its worth people's fear of death. The local (so-called; note the lower case 'c') church of Christ drive around in vans with emblazoned signs that scream in large blood-red letters, "If you died tonight, Where Would You Spend Eternity?"

I can almost hear the creepy, scary music...

• changeling
    changeling

My mother told me as I was growing up that I would never grow old. Today I am a grandmother. My mother is great-grandmother in her 80's. She is sad and bitter and hates to look at herself in the mirror. She is still an active witness. She would never admit it (even to herself), but the Society with their "millions now living will never die" set her up for dissapointment.

I would rather embrace each day as it comes and value every moment and stage of my life than live in expectation of a fantasy. I want to die at a ripe old age having lived a true and full life.

changeling

• Gayle
    Gayle

Of course, as a JW child I was taught my family and I were never going to die and we would live forever. Then Mom died of cancer at 43 years of age, but she was coming back in the resurrection "very soon now." That was 37 years ago. Now I am a grandma (a young grandma) but I accept that I will grow old and die as millions have and I do not fear it.

• emptywords
    emptywords

Trying to analize why one becomes a JW, I think it is because of the prospect of living forever for most, and for others learning about the bible and gods kingdom and name. The so called mysteries of what happens when we die and why so much wickedness, one must admit Jw do answer all those questions weather you believe it or not they do have answers most religions dont and use the bible to back it up, weather it is out of context or not.

I think 99% of people fear death, unless they really believe in life after death, I mean most people want to know what happens when a love one dies don't they. so if it isn't for a loved one it is for ourselves.

So to say most study because of fear of death, maybe a few but most I dont think so. knowledge of God is why I think.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This thread could be on to something. Anybody else remember this line of argument used in the Lit a few years ago?

Is this Life All There is? chap. 3 pp. 23-25 Man Was Made to Live

Only when we accept the Bible’s explanation that man’s present dying state was never a part of God’s original purpose can we make sense out of things that would otherwise be very puzzling. Take as an example the life-spans of certain plants and animals that far surpass that of man. A tree may live for hundreds of years; some, such as sequoias and bristlecone pines, for thousands of years. It is not unusual for a giant tortoise to get to be more than 150 years old. Why should this be? Why should mindless trees and unreasoning tortoises outlive intelligent man?

At the time, I could not buy into that argument. It seemed entirely logical that the metabolism of a larger creature would have it live longer. The prospect of life eternal always seemed unnatural because our entire experience has been that everything has a beginning, a life and an end - so eternity is unfathomable.

But dubs I know have said the opposite. They say they cannot grasp the idea of not being in existence, as though the world should stop if they are no more. Perhaps they do have a sense of not understanding non existence , or is it egotism ?

• Honesty
    Honesty

One of my former PO's was diagnosed with several malignant tumors in his brain.

Before he died I watched him undergo a complete transformation.

When he was healthy would always talk about the resurrection being a true Christian's hope.

Well, that all changed just before he died.

That man was literally terrified of death.

It wasn't supposed to happen to him because he had been serving the Faithful Slave Jehovah all his life.

Poor man...

• RebelWife
    RebelWife

"Only when we accept the Bible’s explanation that man’s present dying state was never a part of God’s original purpose can we make sense out of things that would otherwise be very puzzling. Take as an example the life-spans of certain plants and animals that far surpass that of man. A tree may live for hundreds of years; some, such as sequoias and bristlecone pines, for thousands of years. It is not unusual for a giant tortoise to get to be more than 150 years old. Why should this be? Why should mindless trees and unreasoning tortoises outlive intelligent man?" Hi. I'm new and I'm going to throw up. Either that or laugh my a$$ off. I don't know about anybody else, but my JW hubby doesn't want to believe he is as insignificant as he feels, deep down, that he is. Sorry -- I just couldn't contain myself any longer.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Welcome to JWD rebel-wife.

I used to be a rebel-husband...

then I escaped from the cult and from her, too.

• RebelWife
    RebelWife

Honesty -- thanks. I need to post my little story, but to make it short, I've never been a JW. (Should have picked a different name, I guess.) I married a lovely man who was DF'd but still believes their crap.

• changeling
    changeling

Welcome Rebelwife!

I'm sure you'll find a lot of info here that may help your hubby. Check out the "Best Of" topics, some real eye openers there.

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit