Just joined the RBC (regional building committee.)

by darth frosty 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I don't get it. Why would they want an assembly hall in Howell, Michigan, when there is already an assembly hall west of Howell only 40 minutes away. There is also another assembly hall southeast of Howell about 55 minutes away. With a sagging economy in Michigan, it seems unlikely they would want to add another assembly hall just for the fun of it. If anything, they would want to build in the Grand Rapids area

• ImFreeNow
    ImFreeNow

After being greatly involved for about 20 years in the rbc (including a branch appointment) I had the opportunity to get into different areas of the country for matters that would move the program forward, one was the west michigan area. Too many village idiots in GR for an assembly hall although it was discussed. Way more company men in central and east michigan! It dosn't surprise that they would consider making some drive a great distance for the convienience of bethel west in Detroit.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    What is your experience with the RBC

A story I posted before:

You reminded me of my story. They often ask for too many volunteers, so they can
    pick and choose. The relief effort for Hurricane Katrina victims was an example in my
    case. They told us that they would need volunteers to go down in Winter- late January
    or early February, last year. I arranged my vacation to go down in February. They said
    they specifically needed carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and also people who could
    move a bunch of weight all day. I told them I was an elder who could move a bunch of
    weight.

Come two weeks before time to go. The Illinois Regional Building Committee (who you
    must work with in order to volunteer to help fellow witnesses) calls me to say they don't
    have room on the bus for me. I tell them I can drive down and follow the bus. I also asked
    if there were others that needed a ride in my car. They said they had no more spare beds
    for me. I said I knew people in New Orleans area that were willing to put me up. They said
    "No, you have to work within the established organizational ways- no private car and no
    arrangements for yourself. Can you keep yourself available for other weeks this year?"

"NO, can't do it."

I called back a week later in case the situation changed. I still had February vacation put
    aside just for them. A woman answered- she was the wife of the RBC "brother" I had
    spoken to. She was very friendly, saying there still wasn't room on the bus. She started
    talking about the trip, so I asked "Are you going?"

"Oh, yes. My husband is going. Me and the preschool children are going. Another RBC
    brother's wife managed to get into the group. We are very excited."

I wonder how much heavy weight these sisters and the preschool children could move.

Even as a dub (granted, I had one foot out the door) I knew I would NEVER NEVER
    work with an RBC from that point forward.

• ImFreeNow
    ImFreeNow

Although been out for a while, it wouldn't surprise me if the Holt/Lansing assembly hall would be replaced by another as it was refered to in a rather nasty way by many in high ranking positions as the "Pole Barn"!!

• outnfree
    outnfree

That's what I was thinking -- that they're probably replacing Holt.

I never worked on any quick builds, just visited one to show a worldly friend how it all got put together. My girlfriend used to go and work on roofing. She loved being up high on those roofs.

It's weird, I remember having a vivid dream about a quick build peopled by people from my KH in Michigan and other unknown brothers and sisters. Don't know what that was about... Guilt for not "doing more in Jehovah's service?" In the dream the sisters were arguing about the food arrangements. LOL

out

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

I went on a couple of quick builds here in SA and they were fun... they were also quite eye opening, because they were mostly in the poorer township areas, which really made me aware of the inequality in my country... wow listen to me, not sounding bitter about thing for a change?

• poppers
    poppers

"After I found out that this brother was being contracted to build the items for the hall at a price and he was using free labor from the friends at the hall, I quit helping."

What an opportunist scuzzball.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Darth Frosty, which cong. do you attend? I live in the Grand Rapids area. That's bizzare they're building an assembly hall in Howell of all places! Is Belleville and Holt not enough?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I dont go to the hall b_d i just still happen to talk to a couple of dubs who are still in.

OnTWO I hear you about the RBC's A lot of cats just use them and their buses for their own personel gain.

• undercover
    undercover

The relief effort for Hurricane Katrina victims was an example in my case. They told us that they would need volunteers to go down in Winter- late January
    or early February, last year.

Come two weeks before time to go. The Illinois Regional Building Committee (who you must work with in order to volunteer to help fellow witnesses) calls me to say they don't have room on the bus for me.

I called back a week later in case the situation changed. I still had February vacation put aside just for them. A woman answered- she was the wife of the RBC "brother" I had spoken to. She was very friendly, saying there still wasn't room on the bus. She started talking about the trip, so I asked "Are you going?"

"Oh, yes. My husband is going. Me and the preschool children are going. Another RBC brother's wife managed to get into the group. We are very excited."

I have to vent on this for a moment...

First of all they tell an able bodied, not afraid of some back-breaking labor elder that there's no room for him on the bus. Then the wives and small children manager to get a ride...

Where were these wives and children staying? In the rooms that could have been used by workers, not baby sitters and kids.

And the thing that really takes the cake...(and maybe I'm reading more into this than what it was, but I can't help it) This woman was "excited" about going??? You're not going to Disney on vacation. You're going to a disaster zone. This isn't something to be excited about. People want to go to help those in need. In the end they may feel good that they helped someone, but they aren't looking forward to disasters. I'm sure that all the volunteers in all the disasters would gladly give up being a volunteer for the return of there never being a need for disaster volunteers ever again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit