I joined the YMCA last week!

by alias 22 Replies latest jw friends

• alias
    alias

... and as I was filling out the application there was a line that said:

"Please note: If you are one of Jehovah's Witnesses, you MAY NOT join OUR organization!"

Ha, ha, just kidding!

But yes, I joined because I've been wanting to go swimming and they're the only place in town to do it indoors. The JW rumblings inside my DNA kept reminding me of the evilness of such organizations like the Young Man's Christian Organization. What tripe! And no bolt of lightening struck me down as I signed on the dotted line.

My membership card is a keychain tag with big YMCA letters on it. Uh oh!

I wonder if the JW's are still anti-YMCA (when'd that QFR come out, in the 60s? Anyone know?

And I've been getting the best swimming workouts for a week now.

One more step at integrating into normal society. Congratulations to me.

alias

swimming class

• JK666
    JK666

Beware of graduallism, next month you will probably be an NGO for the United Nations! Oh yeah, that's been done before. JK

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Way to go!

My wife recently got DF'd for joining so I can attest that yes they are quite anti-YMCA.

For us though it was a way to try an force us to come back to meetings. They would have not taken action if we returned but because it did not appear like we would could back the Elders decided to DF for apostasy.

• alias
    alias

--> My wife recently got DF'd for joining so I can attest that yes they are quite anti-YMCA.

Drew, are you kidding me? Was joining the YMCA specifically one of the DF charges? Is it considered "joining another religion?"

• alias
    alias

--> Beware of graduallism, next month you will probably be an NGO for the United Nations!

JK, ha, good point!

• unique1
    unique1

Did you do the little YMCA dance village people style on the way out?

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's hard to see why the JWs have found faults in the YMCA since it is an apolitical, non sectarian and benign social movement. But with the JW GB everything is possible, their puritanism is not meant for purity but rather to isolate the individual members mentally from the rest of society and make them easy to control and manipulate. Good when someone ignores them.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Question for Drew - how are your wife's parents reacting to your wife's DFing? I know that was a concern....

• Kent
    Kent

Well, I'll buy you a drink, he, he.....

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Drew, are you kidding me? Was joining the YMCA specifically one of the DF charges? Is it considered "joining another religion?"

According to the January 1, 1979 Watchtower magazine joining the local Y is apostasy. They view it as joining a religion and giving support to the military all in one. Read the article to find out the details.

Question for Drew - how are your wife's parents reacting to your wife's DFing? I know that was a concern...

They are acting stupid, that the best way I can describe it.

Her mother seems like she really just doesn't know what to do. I think at this point she has fooled herself into thinking that if she shunns my wife it will bring her back to the orgnization. This is what the mags say so it must be true right? I know deep down she probably thinks this is stupid, but has to do it regardless.

Her mother can't fully shun her though. They see each other on occasion. When her mother trys to blame her for it all my wife gives simple replies saying that she doesn't shunn anybody and that all they need to do is call. Thats when my mother-in-law will usually say smoething like 'well you need to love Jehovah first'.

The more and more time that passes will show my mother-in-law that this technique simply does not work. I think eventually she will get more aggressive to bring my wife back into the fold when the typical JW responses stop working.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit