Could the WTBTS get JWs to kill?

by serotonin_wraith 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I'm not saying those in power would even contemplate doing this, but I wonder just how far JWs would go to obey their leaders. Would they go as far as to kill, if they thought God had given that message to 'his people'?

It would probably take years of subtle changes in their message so that it didn't come as a big shock. It could be justified in a number of ways. God gave them this message, who are we to question God, it is God's test just before Armageddon, Abraham was tested too, even if we don't understand - God does, they will only be dying at Armageddon anyway, if anyone worthy of paradise is killed accidentally they will simply be resurrected, and so on.

HOW they manage to convince people isn't the issue here, I'm just interested in whether people here think JWs could actually kill for their religion. I honestly think they would. They have been brainwashed enough already to give up their lives and their children's lives if it meant taking blood. Those sitting on the fence would probably leave, but the rest could be turned into murderers if the WTBTS wished it.

Remember this isn't about what will happen. I don't think they'd ever do such a thing. More about what COULD happen if those in charge decided to set the plan in motion.

• journey-on
    journey-on

They've already done that. How many children have died because their parents refused a live-saving blood transfusion?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I remember years ago a JW saying to me the society should send out "hit teams" to get rid of "apostates". I thought this person was a little wacko, but I'm sure some of them would be willing to do it.

W

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

ABSOLUTELY.

• BFD
    BFD

After the attacks of 9/11 I called my mom to find out if she was alive.

We got into a discussion about fundmentalist religion. I told her that I believed if the directive came from Brooklyn to fly planes into buildings she would do it. She told me I was crazy.

I still feel that die hard JWs would do ANYTHING the GB asked.

BFD

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

They have already been killing people for decades in a non-violent (?) way.

I do believe there are a few that would have no problem being more proactive.

My father was always a quiet, kind man, but as a child growing up JW, I always believed he would kill me if Jehovah told him to - just like Abraham was willing to kill Isaac.

• R.F.
    R.F.

In order to pull something like this off, the GB would need some years and lots of refinements come along. We must remember that the WTS prides itself over not entering the military, not going to war, and experiencing prison time because of refusing military service. They also put Christendom down for actually going to war and killing.

As what was already stated, I think the on-the-fencers would leave if this command came from the GB, with the die-hard JWs sticking to the GB not matter what, accepting any explanation they give as a reason to force them to do so.

• steve2
    steve2
    I wonder just how far JWs would go to obey their leaders.

I think this would apply to almost any group of religious nutters - Christian or otherwise. Keep this in mind too:

The history of religion is simply one of people not only being prepared to die for their faith - but to also kill for it. I personally don't think the JWs are more prone to this kind of fatal extremism than any other "Christian" group. Two of the biggest recent religious tragedies have involved groups splitting away from conventional fundamentalist religions: The founder of the Waco, Texas, group, apparently was raised in a "normal" Christian group. Jim Jones, the leader of the "christian" group who committed mass suicide several years agohad a Baptist upbringing.

Imagine the field day people would have if these groups had even a smidgeon of JW influence in them.

Notwithstanding the no-blood teaching, there is no evidence that any JW in good-standing has ever deliberately killed anyone else out of "obedience" to the GB.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

RF..WBT$ owns 50% of Rand Cam Engine corp...Rand Cam does business with the US Navy...OUTLAW

• R.F.
    R.F.

But how much of the rank-and-file are aware of that OUTLAW? I'm speaking along the lines of what the GB feeds the R&F and what they try to make themselves known for, and we know that their baby is the fact that they are persecuted for refusing to kill(military).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit