state of fear

by John Doe 31 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Just read the book. The plot has some inconsistencies, but the issues the book deals with are interesting nonetheless. Conspiracy theory nuts will love it.

One of the ideas expressed in the book is the book's namesake; that is, we live in a state of fear. Fear drives markets. Buzz words are used more and more often in the media--"disaster," "tragedy," "horrendous," "mayhem," etc. He proposes an interesting view of the environmental movement. For those who have read the book, or those who haven't, what do you think about such subjects?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Quite an interesting post John Doe. I'm of the opinion that fear is a commodity and motivating force behind our society. Not saying that we don't have enough legitimate things to worry about, but the marketability of fear can not be denied. I especially liked the point that much scientific research is funded in such a way that can easily introduce bias.

• John Doe
    John Doe

You both are looney! Where's the tin foil hats?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Kiss my arse, dipstick!

• John Doe
    John Doe

Ah, I'm sorry. I should have known that all the good little sheep here won't be happy with anything that questions what they are spoon fed in the main stream media.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Yeah, well, come up with some peer reviewed scientific sources and then maybe we'll discuss the legitimate points in which they may disagree with the "main stream media."

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Well...when you hear the words "Fear" and "Mayhem" in the real estate markets...it's time to buy. That's how the rich get richer. When the stock markets shout, "Fear" and "Mayhem", it's time to buy. That's how the rich get richer.

See a pattern here?

BP

(Of the...don't let any grass grow under your feet...class)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Baaaaaaaaaaaaa! Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

• changeling
    changeling

I'm glad to see you're in a good mood tonight JD.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I agree black pearl. We're forever trying to determine where the boundary between legitimate concerns and monetary bias lies. The line is blurry and I'm not sure anyone knows exactly where it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit