Mental Illness - diagnosed for me

by Crumpet 133 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

haha Ninja!

Thanks Bluebell and Mastodon. I have already informed my employer as they are giving me a very hard time at the moment and I believe are trying to bully me into leaving. I am firmly against bullying wherever it happens so I won't give in to that even though the stress of this added pressure is of course causing me to 'cycle' faster.

And as for telling the people closest to me about my condition...well I just did. This thread. I've withdrawn from or scared everyone else away that used to be close.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Please everyone remember that I have got to 32 without medication

Crumpet, there are alot of illnesses that don't truely manifest themselves till later in life. We get older and it is more difficult to function.

There is some good advice.

about eating, sleeping, etc NO ALCOHOL

You have to become very disciplined. No spending money out of your budget..........which includes phone calls. You cannot give into the illness. You do not have that luxury.

I think one of the main reasons my daughter is doing so well right now is due to the pregnancy. She stopped drinking and smoking. She is eating better. She is not staying out all night or up all night and sleeping. She is not giving in to all her impulses.

I have a friend here that became paralyzed after breaking his neck, from a diving accident. His life altered dramatically. He had no choice but to change.

You are there now. Mental illness is clever, its like a virus in your mind, you will have to be brave enough to begin to clear out the bad habits and behaviour, clean it up like a computer. The medication will allow you to function.

If you like the highs and are willing to deal with the lows, you know there are consequences. If you want that luxury, then figure out a way to make that happen.

purps

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy
    One of the first things I will investigate will be St Johns Wort. Are there places one can go to to get advice on this from a complementary medicine expert? I am also extremely confident that if I can get some talking therapy so that I can think up new ways to talk to myself when I feel this coming on that I can regulate it better.

Hi Crumpy,

I won't belabor any points on the thread because I don't think that will be healthy for you. This is definetly one of those situations where you have to do what you feel is right without being pressured by others. While our advice and experiences can help you, what you need most is support - so I don't want to come off as being unsupportive. Please do what you feel is best and we will all be here to help you.

That being said, I would like to just comment on this quote I pulled from your post above.

2 things:

St. Johns Wort does help some people with mild mood disorders - no doubt about it. There is plenty of proof and evidence/ statistics that you can find that will show that. I'm not disputing that it can help some people. However, if your symptoms are as you describe to us...then your condition isn't mild. I'm sorry to say it and I know it is hard to hear something like that. You may even get angry at me for saying so. That's fine and kinda expected if you do because I'm proding you a little bit (it is for your benefit though).

If your diagnosis is correct, and you are bi-polar, then there is nothing for it than to realize that by definition, this disoder is caused by a chemical imbalance. You may very well have other conditions layered on with it that would respond to things other than a chemical adjustment, but that doesn't change the cold, hard reality. (this is called tough love, what I'm doing here)

So....unlike what you mentioned in your quote up there, you can't "talk to yourself" to "regulate it". I'm so sorry, but it simply, simply doesn't work that way. It is all in the chemicals of the brain and there is no way to "talk" your brain into making the kinds of chemicals needed to deal with bi-polar disorder. I truely wish there was.

Back to the St. Johns Wort, the reason that it won't work well for true bi-polar people is that those kind of things are not available in sufficient safe dosage or consitency. They are not regulated properly. Even if that type of supplement had the potential to help you to the extent needed, you couldn't count on it. Every time you buy a container, it will be slightly different. If you switch brands, it will be different, therefore having a different effect on you.

In the end, please understand that "supplements" are chemicals just as much as presciption meds. They just don't have the testing or consistency behind them.

I hope I haven't sounded too rough. I won't harp on you anymore about it - it is your desicion.

• brinjen
    brinjen

{{{{{{{Crumpet}}}}}}}

I don't know a lot about this illness, but I do know it is an illness, not a mental condition. So there, you're not nuts (no more than the rest of us anyway )

One day at a time dear, that's about all I can think of that hasn't already been posted. I was once given that advice myself, never worry about the pace you are moving at, just make sure you are going forwards, it all adds up in the end.

You'll see, it will get better, promise.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

You are very kind to be so supportive DJK, Dedpoet and Brinjen! What lovely people there are here.

One person I have to thank extra specially and havent done so publically is DIAMONDBLUE who has given me the benefit of his experience and time in a most invaluable way and enabled me to keep it together when I really was losing it big time. I owe you big time!

Tij

sometimes they make you feel worse to begin with....so if you are alone and feeling down or suicidal or want to self harm then meds may heighten that desire before they kick in properly.

it doesn't mean that they don't/won't work

This is a good warning for me thank you.

Little Drummer boy thank you for the St John's Wort information. I'll have to take all of it in context and combine all I can glean with the what the doctors have to advise before reaching any conclusions. And please dont worry I cant take it or being told I might actually be worst. Its in my nature to take any reference to my extremism as a compliment. Heaven forbid anyone should accuse me of having a moderate version of everything! I;d be secretly appalled!

Purps - I am so glad your daughter has settled some. I am off to get pregnant immediately! Actually you know whats interesting - it used to be an old wives tale or common sense knowledge that a wild female calmed down when she got pregnant - how interesting it is in this case! Could it perhaps be that its not just giving up the alcohol and late nights but that possibly chemicals in the brain are altered and compensate for the imbalance before pregnancy? Be so good to have more information on this. I take everything you say kindly.

I just came across this in my school books which reflects exactly what I am thinking on the debate for and against complementary and other contemporary treatments. I love that my studying tallies with my outside life right now. It feels as if everything is meant to be just as it is.

Medicine Through The Ages

Patient to Healer: I have an ear ache.

Healer in 2000 BC: Eat this root.

Healer in 1000 AD: That root is heathen medicine. Say this prayer.

Healer in 1850 AD: That prayer is supersitition. Drink this potion.

Healer in 1940 AD: That potion is snake oil. Swallow this pill.

Healer in 2000 AD: That pill is artificial. Eat this root.

(Adapted by the Open University from New Scientist 6 September 1997)

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I must say I was really hoping our resident expert Funky Derek would have something to say on this thread....

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Little Drummer Boy made some good points. The thing you have to remember about natural remedies, like herbs and acupuncture, is that in ancient times that is all they had. We are really lucky to be living in an age where there are so many treatments for disorders that were previously difficult to treat. When you make decisions about your treatment, get a reality check by talking it through with others and see if they agree with you. Talk to your doctor and people who are around you often.

Best of luck to you - I know this is really hard to deal with. I'm glad you can share your experiences - it helps other people to know they are not alone.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I'm not on the board much these days, but wanted to pop in to give you a big hug Crumpet. You are courageous and strong. Know that you are loved and that you have the support of so many here who care for you.

tall penguin

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Crumpet,

I had not idea that you were having problems! But, I'm glad that you sought out help, that is the most important step, to realize there is a problem admit it then get help!

Don't worry about he stigma - if you had diabetes you'd treat it, right? Same with BiPolar, no different!

Hang in there,

nj

• Es
    Es

Big hugs hun, how do you feel about your diagnosis??? Throughout the last 5 years I have suffered depression on and off, I have taken medication for it but was left feeling nothing, numb all the time which was great at the start but in the end I felt I would rather feel upset or angry or happy than feel nothing.

I still feel myself fall into it but I have a lot to be happy for so I try and concentrate on that as hard as it may be at times.

Im here for ya hun

es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit