Are we doomed to dysfunction forever?

by tnangel73 6 Replies latest social relationships

• tnangel73
    tnangel73

I have had a pretty screwed up life, as a lot of people who post on here have had. This last year has seemed to be the worst I have experienced. Growing up the way I did, and now seeing how we were lied to, controlled, and not given choices, I now have no trust in anyone or anything. I have very few people in my life that I can call a real friend. And mostly that is because of the way I am about not ever letting anyone get too close.

• serendipity
    serendipity

(( tnangel )) I struggle with trust and abandonment issues and was wondering tonight if I would ever get over them. If it's causing real problems for you, maybe you can get counseling. It's something I'm considering since my self-help attempts aren't working fast enough. Good luck!

• tnangel73
    tnangel73

I've been trying to go to counseling but I sometimes think they are bigger whackjobs than me. Seriously. But thank you.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I know how you feel.

I think all the dysfunctional people should ban together and do some functioning!!!!

purps

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I think all the dysfunctional people should ban together and do some functioning!!!!

That's why apostafests are so fun. They put the "fun" in dysfunctional.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I don't have an answer, but I know how it feels. It's hard to let people close, but it is a two way street, you have to move some, too. The closest thing I can liken it to is Smeagol and Gollum, Gollum being that little voice always on the look out for the slightest snub or perhaps mijudgement on the part of others so it can say "See!? I told you they was tricksy. I told you they was false.". It's not as dramatic as Smeagol and Gollum, but I think it is a learned protective mechanism. My little gollum isn't as loud he used to be, but it's still there.

• John Doe
    John Doe

People for the most part are good and decent. However, anyone you allow yourself to trust or like has greater potential to hurt you, but then again, they also have greater potential to help you. Keeping distant from people may feel like protection, but in the end you'll have a net loss.

If you're afraid of heights, you'll more than likely fall. set a beam 6" on the ground, and start there. When comfortable, raise 6". Wash, rinse, repeat. Soon, you'll have conquered your fear of heights and you won't fall. Er, something like that. I'm not feeling very coherent tonight. . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit