1914, Generation doctrine belief change!

by Gill 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

I had the dubious pleasure of explaining the 1914 Generation change doctrine to a relative who has been a JW for all of his life the other day. He didn't even know that there had been a Generation change and that the WT was no longer claiming that those alive in 1914 would still be alive when Armageddon struck.

However, he said he would only believe me IF I could tell him the exact date of the Watchtower that explained this change.

Though I know it is 1995, I do not know the exact date/issue and he refused to research it claiming it would show lack of faith on his part if he questioned his beliefs....but he said he would look it up if I told him which issue it was.

So, please, could anyone direct me to the exact issue in which this world shattering event was revealed?

I remember, many JWs, especially elderly ones being shocked at this revelation, but obviously this particular relative was not concentrating at the time!! If there is a scan available also, that would be totally awesome!!

Thanks

Gill

• fokyc
    fokyc

Gill

I am pretty sure this is the one you are referring to:

w 1995 November 1p.17par.6ATimetoKeepAwake

Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah’s people have at times speculated about the time when the "great tribulation" would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However, we "bring a heart of wisdom in," not by speculating about how many years or days make up a generation, but by thinking about how we "count our days" in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah. (Psalm 90:12) Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term "generation" as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics.

fokyc

• alanv
    alanv

Gill

Although it's been over 10 years since this change, I really wonder how many witnesses understand it. There is no question that if you open your bible to Mat. 24: 34 Jesus clearly shows that the generation he was there speaking to would not all pass away before the destruction of Jerusalem. Even if we accept that this has a future fullfillment as well, the same meaning of generation must apply. I beleve that this was a real turning point for the borg and since that time they are having to change many other things, including the doing away of 1935 as a time when the 144000 had all been gathered.

• Gill
    Gill

Thanks Fokyc and AlanV!

I take it that this was the End for the 'Millions Now Living Will Never Die!' belief!?

• DannyHaszard
  • AlphaOmega
  • heretic
    heretic

Man I love it when Danny chimes in on a thread.

Its always gold

• freeme
    freeme

of course there is no WT which states "oh, sorry, we, the fds, was so wrong before and as we see the time goes by and our warning turns out to be a lie we change the doctrine and now we say the generation can mean a lot longer time". they would never do that. its always a "some speculated" and in a writing style that gives the reader the impression that the fds never participated in these speculations and that it never was a real doctrine. since most humans dont remember every watchtower of the last 20 years and the most arent even listening very well in the meetings most of them dont bother changes.

that particular change was even announced at the district convention and i remember the discussion about it even though i was very young in that time. of course everyone who slightly critized it was an evil apostate. some left the organization because of it.

it took me many years to understand the meaning of that day. i was just too young...

edit: it fascinates me everytime that the talks on conventions always have another language then the publications. if the publications say "the generation may pass not away" (for instance) the talk on the convention would say "brothers and sisters! WE have the PROOF from JEHOVAH GOD himself that THIS generation of 1914 WILL NOT PASS AWAY! *CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP* see all of YOU in the new system soon! *CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*" (or similar) *goosebumps*

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

See http://jwfacts.com/index_files/generation.htm

There have been constant changes over the last 130 years, with the last being 1995.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Ya I know its kinda crappy but I didnt have much time getting ready for work

alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit