Rethinking "this world", "the world", and "worldly"

by Fernando 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fernando
    Fernando

If ALL religion is a snare and a racket as per Judge Rutherford, then has religion maybe lied to us on this score too?

Could Jesus have meant: "If you belonged to the (religious) world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the (religious) world, but I have chosen you out of the (religious) world. That is why the (religious) world hates you." (cross ref John 9:22)

Could it be that religious leaders may be completely wrong about what “the world” or “worldly” means – in that it might refer mainly to them?

There seems to be some support for such a view in this Bible commentary that says "this world" in 1 Cor 2:8 meant “the Jewish church state” (a religious organisation): http://biblehub.com/commentaries/1_corinthians/2-8.htm

What are your thoughts?

• hoser
    hoser

My thoughts.

Most people have to work for a living. Unless a person is born into a privileged family or wins the lottery this is a fact of life.

Con artists and thieves have figured out a way to skirt the system and get a free ride. Religious leaders have pretty much figured the game out so they never have to work another day in their life.

Has religion lied to us? Is the sky blue?

• Laika
    Laika
    Hoser, most religious leaders work very hard for low pay.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Interesting thought Fernando!

I like your reasoning....

• Phizzy
    Phizzy
    Of course that interpretation would never suit the JW leadership. They need to maintain the baseless fear of what they call "the world" so as to control their members, in common with all other cults of course.
  • Fernando
    Fernando

The Watchtower religion is smarter than most.

Other religions have paid clergy.

The Watchtower has paying clergy.

PS1 - From a YouTube clip.

PS2 - Yup, I know only a handful of clergymen make a killing financially speaking.

• menrov
    menrov
    Interesting view and does make sense as those who wanted to kill Jesus were primarily the Jews. The Romans even wanted to release Jesus but the Jews chose Barabbas instead.
  • Perry
    Perry

IMHO the "world" that was being referred to is the self-directed world, or in the instance of religiosity... the "other-directed' world. Those in union with Christ are "spirit directed".

There is a "world" of difference between the two.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Thanks for sharing Perry.

I had the same sense, just not the words.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Lying corrupt religious cults like the JWs could be regarded as worldly.

Pretentiously self devised as the spiritual world of Jesus Christ and of god of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit