Why is the least in the kingdom of heaven greater than John the Baptist?

by esw1966 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• esw1966
    esw1966
    Matthew 11:11 - I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

If all who hope in Christ go to heaven, what makes us better than John the Baptist?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

My understanding is because Christians were being called to be part of Christ's Bride. John the Baptist was only the "friend of the groom." Notice, Jesus is using the present tense..."is." It's not talking about final destinies. It's contrasting the blessings Jesus' followers then had versus what the Old Covenant had.

That Jesus believed the Old Testament servants of God were to receive a heavenly reward, see:

http://www.catholic-forum.com/members/popestleo/otsaints.html

• Narkissos
  • esw1966
    esw1966

Helpful....

So, there is the 'friend' of the bridegroom. And even though their destiny is the same they are different because of the time period they were living in? David will be in heaven, but his faith was in God and not specifically Jesus and so his calling is different in that his hope was well placed but not specific? He was thus a friend of the bridegroom because the bride hadn't been called up until this point?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I see it as Jesus saying something like this: "John was a great guy and no one is better than he! But, you guys are even more blessed than him because John was part of the Old Economy: the Law and the Prophets. You guys are the beginning of the New Economy I am inaugurating."

At Matthew 11:11 Jesus is not talking about future rewards. When that time comes, everything is clear to all.

• emptywords
    emptywords

Because no one can precede Christ, only those after him were to rule with him, John the baptist along with all the prophets and goodies will be the first of the righteous to be resurrected on the earth and be be princes along with all the elders, I guess that mean their wives will be princesses, class distinctions again. thats what the WT teaches.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik
    Matthew 11:11 - I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

If all who hope in Christ go to heaven, what makes us better than John the Baptist? esw1966, The verse says Kingdom of heaven not "go to heaven" Luke puts it this way: Lu 7:28 For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he. Here we have Kingdom of God not "go to God." This will be God's kingdom or a heavenly kingdom true but it will be here on earth as promised. No one goes to a place unknown to us called heaven. This is why our Lord will return once again in the flesh as promised at Acts 1:11. What do we know about this kingdom? Everyone so chosen will be an immortal human being. Ro 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
    1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. They will be part of an administration at that time called a Kingdom of priests with real responsibilities over others 1Co 6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
    Re 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
    Re 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
    Re 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years. And of course they will be part of a New Covenant as already discussed in this thread. In such ways they will be greater than the John of Jesus day. But we also know that John will be there as well having obtained it by force. Joseph

• emptywords
    emptywords

why do you believe that christ comes back in the flesh, he died, he is a spirit, doesnt' the word talk about a presence.

• Honesty
    Honesty

John was still alive when Jesus said this.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

why do you believe that christ comes back in the flesh, he died, he is a spirit, doesnt' the word talk about a presence.

emptywords,

For one thing our Lord has a Kingdom to run. A Kingdom after the line of David. An earthly kingdom patterned after the one centered in Jerusalem. A Kingdom in which our Lord will eat and drink once again with His disciples. A Kingdom in which He will resurrect human beings to immortal human life. You should be able to find the verses yourself. Why do you think our Lord raised His own body and in such human nature taught them about the Kingdom for 40 more days? And why do you think Acts 1:11 teaches that He will return in the very same human nature. You say our Lord is a spirit. But the scriptures teach that our Lord's nature is much more complex than that. He also has a human nature which He was permitted to take back once again. In fact He was commanded to take it back again by His Father.

Joh 10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

What amazes me is the ones that teach that our Lord cannot do that because it would invalidate His sacrifice somehow. But they never tell you how that changes this history or where in scripture it is not permitted. And since our Lord actually did it they make up stories like it was a materialization and not really His executed human body. So they make our Lord out to be a deceiver because:

20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.
    Joh 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

So even the apostles and disciples denied it for a while but changed their minds. This would continue to be a difficulty for the faith so John finally wrote that to teach otherwise would be Antichrist. John said: 1Jo 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 2Jo 1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. This we know was not a problem until AFTER His resurrection. Today many still deny this simple truth.

Presence is also translated coming and in regard to our Lord the verses are mostly anticipation and prophecy since this is still future even in this century. This does not mean that the Presence or coming will not be human, visible and in the flesh? World affairs will be such that we can expect it anytime we see them and we should look forward to it? And when it does happen we learn:

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: And the nature of such descent will be human and in the flesh as promised: Acts 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven. John knew for he saw our Lord in the flesh and learned all this from Him. John also knew that many would deny such a coming and presence. That is why He called them the Antichrist.

Joseph

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit