Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallow-Warning-Spoilers May be Discussed Here!

by CaptainSchmideo 21 Replies latest social entertainment

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I just finished it last nite. Anyone else? Anyone want to discuss it?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I just finish reading it, great story. That woman knows how to write and tell a story.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

So who got killed?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Y'no everyone wants to make a big deal over who dies and what-not. The real Joy and intrigue in J.K.R's work is the way she tells the story within a story. Like the last book 'the half blood prince,' you found out everything you needed to know about voldemort, thru the lessons that Dumbledore was giving Harry. I break down the collection like this, 1. the first three books set up the peices characters and overall theme. 2. the next two (books 4 and 5) created action and a sense of urgency, it brought real turmoil and evil into play. The last to books explain and resolve the conflict's and put a nice bow of completeness to the story.Just my .02.

• cathyk
    cathyk

I finished it yesterday -- I laughed, I cried (a LOT), I gasped ... It was amazing to see everything come together at the end. Many of my theories were shattered, but I was not at all disappointed.

I'll be reading it again, more slowly this time, in addition to reading it aloud to my two younger kids.

I hope Jo decides to fill in a few more details via her website on the later careers of some of the background characters, in addition to more info on the main ones. But it was enormously satisfying all around.

Cathy

www.oldlighthousebooks.com

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I pre-ordered months ago from Amazon.com. My book didn't arrive! I am disconsolate. Fuck.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I saw the book last night at Walmart for about $18.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I am going to start reading it riiiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhhhtttttttt NOW

• Scully
    Scully

I got my copy yesterday - and while I've been trying to get into the reading, I can't seem to stay focused on the story. It's going to be my reading during our summer vacation driving time.

How you folks could read the entire thing in such a short time span is truly amazing to me!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I just finished it last nite. Anyone else? Anyone want to discuss it?

Wow, what a great ending to a great series. I've got to admit I was surprised at a couple things.

Okay I knew Snape was going to die, and I thought he and Lily had a history, but ggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I had no idea JKR could make Snape such a redeemable character. The part that really got me in "The Tale of the Prince" was when Snape cast his Patronus and Dumbledore said, "Still?" And Snape replied, "Always."

The only other chapter that really got me, put a catch in my throat was when Harry used the Resurrection Stone ("I am about to die.").

I thought Harry would die, but I thought it would be through the Veil in the Department of Mysteries, not by Voldemort killing him. I also thought Harry would come back through the Veil, since that was the running theme in every book the series. Did you notice how he called Voldemort, "Riddle" at the end? He was Voldemort's equal.

What did you think about the entire chapter of "King's Cross"? Did you find it believable? I did. And very powerful. And maybe I'm a bleeding heart liberal, but I couldn't help feeling pity for Voldemort, seeing what would become of him. How awful, and how sad.

I've read many comments online of complaints regarding the language and violence. Frankly I don't have a problem with it at all. It was entirely in keeping with the story.

My biggest surprise was that Dumbledore betrayed Harry. I never saw that coming. Harry was much nicer to Dumbledore than I would have been.

What did you think of the Epilogue?

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit