What is the JW's take on pets?

by Dragonlady76 15 Replies latest jw friends

• TopHat
    TopHat

Didn't God say he takes notice of every Sparrow ....meaning he is very much aware of all his creatures.

• PEC
    PEC

We, always had atlease one cat. Never had demons.

Philip

• blondie
    blondie

*** g04 2/22 p. 9 Pets—Keep a Balanced View of Them ***Will owning a pet take time away from more important activities?’

Another factor to consider is that owning a pet can be costly.

On the other hand, some people’s concern for pets takes precedence over even more important considerations. In fact, when affection for animals is not controlled by reasonableness, the life of pets can seem even more important than that of humans.

*** g89 6/8 p. 19 Can You Really Care for a Pet? ***Not all adults consider the consequences of accepting another "member" into the family. They do not always foresee the inconveniences and responsibilities that a pet can bring. This may especially be true of Jehovah’s Witnesses, who lead such busy lives in their Christian ministry and are often away attending meetings and Christian conventions. Then the problem of finding someone to care for the pet arises. Certainly, it would not be appropriate to miss Christian activities because of an overly sentimental attachment to animals.—Hebrews 10:24, 25.

Another factor is hygiene. The tongue of many animals is also their washcloth, which they use for all parts of their body! While animals are equipped to handle the germs that they ingest, children may not be. So do not encourage your child to kiss an animal. Even allowing an animal to lick your child’s face and hands may expose the child to health problems, possibly including worms. When it happens, washing with soap and water at once may prevent infection. Pets should have their own feeding dishes and should not be allowed to lick plates used by humans. Animals can bring fleas and other "undesirables" into the home. Some owners of dogs wisely do not allow them in their houses.

*** g04 2/22 p. 6 Pets—Keep a Balanced View of Them ***And whereas animals were created with a limited life span, humans had the prospect of living on earth forever. (Genesis 3:22, 23; Psalm 37:29) Jesus Christ said that to enjoy "everlasting life," we must exercise faith and take in knowledge of God—things that animals are incapable of doing. (John 3:36; 17:3) Moreover, the Bible compares those unworthy of a resurrection to the "unreasoning animals [that are] born naturally to be caught and destroyed."—2 Peter 2:9-12.

*** g76 1/22 p. 18 Enjoy Animals—in Their Place! ***Even persons who enjoy animals very much usually realize that reasonableness is needed in connection with them.

Cost certainly is one factor.

A reasonable view, then, is to weigh the enjoyment obtained in the light of its cost. Time magazine said:

"Americans spend $2.5 billion a year on commercially prepared pet food alone to feed their pets—more than six times as much as they spend on baby food, and more than enough to nourish the one-third of the world’s population that goes hungry. . . . For each dollar spent on pet food, Americans lavish at least as much for pet products and services."

Yes, reasonableness is needed. Otherwise a person might gradually allow animals to occupy an increasingly important place in his life and affections. As we have seen, this can and does happen. Whereas at first a person might think that it would be pleasant to have a pet around the home, without reasonableness being manifested he could get to the point of spending inordinate amounts of money, time and attention on the pet. Or, even though he is a clean person, he might come to permit himself to be "kissed" by a pet that had recently been licking its sexual and anal areas or eating something unsanitary. Surely extremes need to be guarded against.

Still, the Bible record says that, having surveyed and enjoyed all the animals, Adam found no full companion or complement among them. Adam was an intelligent human made in God’s image, and a similarly endowed creature is what he needed as a complement. As enjoyable, devoted, instructive, amusing or interesting as animals might be, God never purposed that they be a substitute for humans

• TMS
  • restrangled
    restrangled

Being raised in the "Truth" as a third generation kid, we always had pets...always...My mom in later years raised exotic cats. Our family always loved animals, probably more than outside humans.

It remains the same to this day.

I have my 2 Dobermans that are considered absolute babies in our family, plus our big cat. .....

Can't imagine life without any of them.

r.

• whyizit
    whyizit

Once when the JW couple who was coming to "study" with us started in on beliefs and customs that are displeasing to God, Mrs. JW was going on and on about how we should never have anything to do with things that could in anyway be related to paganism. It was around Easter, so she was using the rabbits and eggs scenario. (And let's not forget that ever manacing "Christmas tree"!)

I asked her if JWs have pets.

Do they own cats?

Hmmm.... I seem to recall there are pagan religions that view cats as gods. If you are to stay away from everything associated with paganism, why do JWs keep cats for pets?

They are God's creatures! He made them.

Did God not also make eggs? Rabbits? Trees?

I never really got a good explanation, but I could see the wheels starting to turn a little in her eyes. She actually broke down in tears when our beagle died, but remained as dry-eyed as a desert when I told her about my Aunt passing away.

That's "WTS love" for you, I suppose!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit