Use Catholic Abuse Settle to Attack JWs re:KN #37 & JW Abuse Cases

by Seeker4 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I was thinking earlier of how the recent mega-million dollar Catholic settlement in LA is an ideal opportunity, in letters to the editor in local newspapers, to highlight the hypocrisy of the Witnesses in how they have handled similar abuse cases.

A couple of points that might be useful to make this applicable anywhere:

1. In the Kingdom News #37 tract distributed around the country last fall. the Witnesses make the statement on the 2nd page, under False Religion tolerates immoral sex: "Even churches that condemn immorality have tolerated religious leaders who have sexually abused children." This statement is next to a picture of a Catholic priest, and is obviously a not-so-veiled reference to the Catholic Church's pedophile priest issue. This widely distributed JW tract makes it a "local story" anywhere in the country.

2. A few months ago, the WTS paid out what is likely a huge settlement in what was about 16 sexual abuse cases in the California area (the details can be found on other JWD threads).
    In effect, the JWs did the same thing that the Catholic Church did, and for the same reasons. Yet the WTS claims that this is an indication that the Catholic Church is false religion.

The difference in how the JWs handled their abuse cases is that they paid off the victims, the same as the CC did, but with a gag order on the vicitms, making it illegal for the Witness vicitms to talk about their cases. The Witnesses paid the victims to keep them quiet and the "good" JW name out of the news, while at the same time attacking the CC for the same problem they have - protecting pedophiles.

Perhaps the header "Jehovah's Witness Pot Calls Catholic Kettle 'Black'" would be appropirate!

Just a thought for anyone who is disgusted by the JW hypocrisy and would like to vent to their local press about it.

S4

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I overheard some of my JW family make statements about Catholic priest like all of them are guilty, and sick, Priest are men, not above sin, but at least the church doesn't place gag orders, or hire a bunch of lawyers to reproch on the ORG's name, look at the big issue just recently with Jesus Cano, a freaking bethel elder, and what it was all kept under the rug. Where are those families? what about the case being made public in court. There are sick, sinful people in every organization all over the world, not just catholic's and not just JW's but one religion making themselves superior over another is just plain petty.

• gumby
    gumby

Hi Seeker, ya old bastard.

I just wanna say that every damn time I see the Catholics getting slammed in the press over sexual matters, and every time I read those articles and never see the word Jehovah's Witnesses, I get pissed. It always bugs the hell out of me that the witnesses never get enough bad exposer that they deserve. Evidently the media thinks that the witnesses are just small change.

Gumby

• DannyHaszard
  • lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Evidently the media thinks that the witnesses are just small change.

That's exactly what they are to the rest of the world.

"Who cares? They aren't a real religion!"

I'll write one, and bring out some points to catch wordly eyes.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

The other evening the local Fox News TV station was covering the latest Catholic settlement and the $$ amount. I sent them an email suggesting they do another story comparing how the Catholics are releasing the information about their settlement including the $$$ while the WTBTS settled cases and gagged their victims so no details on the cases or $$ amounts are available.

I referenced both AP writers articles (CC & JW) and referred them to Silent Lambs website. Also sent basically the same email to the Associated Press in NY suggesting they do a comparative story.

Seeker4, you are a writer aren't you - do you ever do stories for AP?

• carla
    carla

I brought this up to my jw when the jw tract was going around, he claims that it is not necessarily a Catholic priest, could be a minister too! Oh well, that makes it so much better! whackos.

• sf
    sf

every time I read those articles and never see the word Jehovah's Witnesses, I get pissed. It always bugs the hell out of me that the witnesses never get enough bad exposer that they deserve.

Who do you suppose should be doing the exposing that you all deserve?

Go figure.

sKally

• unique1
    unique1

I sent all the info to our local newspaper, with links to scans of the Tract and links to the AP article. We will see what happens.

• bluebell
    bluebell

thats a good idea. fortunately i wont have to use it cos they dont come to the flats we live in, i have had one visit in 3 years and hubby has also had one visit. YEY!!!! nernernehnerneh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit