I am ashamed.

by ThomasCovenant 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• turnerc
    turnerc

I've realised that it's only when you have the benefit of becoming removed from the religion that you really see it for what it is and can look at it objectively. I was brought up in it for 21 years and it took a long time to realise how awful some of the things are because they had been the only thing I knew.

I was disfellowshipped 10 years ago and haven't seen most of my family since. As someone else has said, you have to do whatever is right for you at the time. I try to have the policy of not having any regrets - just to learn from my experiences in life.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

• carla
    carla

When I feel very frustrated with the org I go deliver anti witness literature. It won't help my situation at
    the moment but it might keep someone else from joining. May sound silly to some but I feel a little better
    when I'm done. I have done something tangible with my anger and frustration. Turn on some tunes and deliver to
     paperboxes, go to a coffee house and leave literature there inside the newspaper or in bathrooms, the ideas
    are endless. Nobody even has to know you are doing it if you don't want, drive to another area it doesn't
    matter just get the word out.
  • Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Just saying what you said here helps people know the truth. That means you are doing something. And silently walking away from that dastardly policy is also doing something. It is one fewer publisher, one fewer promoter of lies and death-dealing deceits.

May you find the serenity to accept that which you cannot change, the courage to change what you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Many blessings and love to you. Be proud, not ashamed, that you have had the courage to leave. It takes a strong mind and spirit to free oneself of those jw shackles. You deserve to be proud for being true to yourself.

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Just wanted to give another Hurrah, to Raymomd Franz, for his battle and succeeding to come forward to tell of the wrongs of the WTS in regards to this topic and countless other issues. No doubt he has helped many Escape from the Watchtower.

• I quit!
    I quit!
    I don't know how much longer I can go without blowing up with my parents and making them confront the reality of this religion. I hate it.

I understand how you feel but in my own experience I have found you really can't force a witness to confront what they are not ready to confront. Believe me I have tried and it just doesn't work. If you do try to point out the problems with the Watchtower try to do it in a kind spirit. I know it can be hard but you need to realize that they are under the spell of the WT and it is a hard spell to break. Maybe some day they will wake up, maybe they won't but no matter what you need to get on with your life whether they remain in the tower or not. The best way to prove the WT wrong is to lead a successful and happy life.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Quoting:

>> >>I don't know how much longer I can go without blowing up with my parents and making them confront the reality of this religion. I hate it.
    >>I understand how you feel but in my own experience I have found you really can't force a witness to confront what they are not ready to confront. Believe me I have tried and it just doesn't work. If you do try to point out the problems with the Watchtower try to do it in a kind spirit. I know it can be hard but you need to realize that they are under the spell of the WT and it is a hard spell to break. Maybe some day they will wake up, maybe they won't but no matter what you need to get on with your life whether they remain in the tower or not. The best way to prove the WT wrong is to lead a successful and happy life.

I agree that the best way to prove the WT wrong is to live a successful and happy life. But ...
    I also agree that its a miserable life to go on without telling everyone else that you disagree and are leaving.

They go their whole life and never hear anyone leave because they disagree or have found something better. The only chance you have to get them to question is to leave, be honest about why when you have the chance, and then prove them wrong by living a successful and happy life!
    You can't get a witness to confront what they aren't ready to confront, true. But when they are ready, it has a great chance of them leaving when they are disguested and want to leave and they see that it worked out for you when you left.

I always recommend leaving and screaming to the world what happened. But that's only what worked for me and I can't walk in anyone else's shoes.

• I quit!
    I quit!
    You should see the parade of family of mine and those in her congo only being concerned about whether she will accept blood or not. Who cares if she will die and her husband will be left alone.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister's situation Backed away. I hope she will be ok. I really don't understand how Jdubs can read the Bible as much as they do and yet not see how much they are like the Pharisees. The Watchtower blood policy is stupid confusing and wrong. But even if we assumed that what they teach about blood is in the Bible and is correct it would be over ruled to save a life. Jesus spoke about how the law was to be over ruled if a life was involved. Why don't they understand the point of Math 12:11 -12:12. Also Luke chaper 14 says about the same thing. Here the Pharisee were on Jesus for healing on the Sabbath and he made it clear to them that the laws were for man's benefit and in cases where they would cause harm (even to an animal) it was ok to put them to one side . Even in their warped translation you can get the point of what Jesus was saying but just like their ancient counterparts they are more concerned with following rules than how the rules effect real people. Pretty sick stuff but that's the Watchtower for you.

• animal
    animal

Hopefully, I will explain my thoughts without pissing half of you off.

First tho, I also had a massive tumor on my thyroid and I am ok... since 1898. I didnt have a transfusion, altho I would have ok'd it.

Now, as for the theme of this thread... I personally divide the JW active people into 2 groups or divisions.... those born into it (forced) and those that join as adults(volentary). My ramblings here and now do NOT refer to those born in, since they had no choice.

The JWs have this uncanny ability to attract those with weeknesses, addictions, plainly issues. Those of you that joined as adults, how many of you drank lots, did drugs, had low esteen, were codependent, had no goals in life? You may not have known then, but looking back now, was there something wrong before that first knock at the door?

Once in, the JWs feed those same needs and issues. They offer the iron handed disipline that you may have lacked in your life, or your inability to make a clear decision on things, or maybe it was just the fact that while a JW you couldnt, and thus didnt, drink a lot or indulge in whatever you were doing before. Maybe you had mental issues that made you "different" than most others around you, so being in an org where everyone is looked at differently was an attraction.

That is how they manage to suck people in, and keep them in. The same needs, or weaknesses, that got you in will keep you in. Until you work thru your personal issues or problems, you will just keep falling into the same holes and traps that works for the JWs.

My mother was like that... when not in, she was banging anyone with a pole and drinking.... while in, she was a judgemental dogmatic bitch. I watched her bounce back and forth all my young life. Her friends were the same, pretty much.

We discussed this somewhat yesterday when PEC was here, I decided to try and put it to written word at that time..

Make any sense to you?

Animal

• Undecided
    Undecided

Don't be too mad, they may have saved some lives too. Aids has been spread by blood transfusions as well as other diseases. Two people in my family were killed by blood transfusions. Don't get too angry. It works both ways sometimes.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit