WT Advice

by XBEHERE 14 Replies latest jw friends

• eclipse
    eclipse
    1. Going out in the ministry when you were down or felt depressed every make you forget your problems and cause you to feel better?

Sometimes, to be honest, but it was more the coffee breaks, and the joking and the talking with others that helped.

Plaving mags was a stupid competition within the car group usually...service was only fun when it was nice out, I DETESTED going in service in cold/rainy weather...but when it was hot and sunny I would be wishing I was at the amusment park / waterpark instead!

2. Going to meetings when you had to rush around and practically yell and scream at your husband/wife/kids to get there ever cause you to feel better that you went instead of staying home to relax?

Hell no. Getting yelled at, or yelling to get the other family members to get going never made me feel good. It just made me angry.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

1. The ministry never made me feel better. NO.

2. There was a guilt factor for no legitimate excuse, but if I skipped for a cold or an
    important work-related thing, NO. As I got closer to leaving, the guilt factor for
    no real excuse was gone.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

How can going in service make the depressed one feel better? It cannot. If anything, it usually makes the problem worse, plus adds additional problems. It does not help to already not be accepted in the community to have to go out there and peddle that crap. And having meetings in the way usually creates problems on top of the ones you already have.

In fact, there have been plenty of times when I would go to a meeting or in service feeling lousy and end up feeling even worse (and lousy doesn't mean coming down with a cold, either). If I had a nickel for every time I left the meetings wishing I were already disfellowshipped or that I hadn't gone, I would be able to buy the ^$#%ing Watchtower Society.

• Metamorphosis
    Metamorphosis

I personally think very few ever felt that way. BUT we assumed everyone else must feel that way since they constantly said it from the platform - so if we personally didn't feel refreshed - something must be wrong with us, we must not have prepared right, or listened carefully, or talked to enough friends. I always wondered how when having a terrible headache and needing to just lay down, going to a meeting w/ all the chatter before and after and having to try to concentrate during would help. But no, unless you were 'really really ill' you should try to make it to be refreshed. Again I think it was more of a guilt trip thing than there being a great percentage of people who actually said it did.

That being said I'm sure there are a few that feel worse, due to the control, when they do stay home. The guilt is even grander. So maybe in that regard when they compared the two they actually did feel better by going to the meeting and transferred the reasons of the well-being to it had to be what they gained there.

Morph 'just my two cents'

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

No

No

I only went because it was a house rule, dad made the rule, kids followed.

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit