what was the strangest/worst counsel you recieved from elders ?

by flipper 53 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Having been in the organization for 30 years, after I got out I reflected on this. As a teenager I was told to not let my hair grow over my ears because I might stumble other young ones in the congregation. Also, in order to carry the microphones I was told I couldn't wear white socks, had to wear black or dark blue socks. Was told to stay with my methamphetamine addicted ex-wife at the expense of my children not having visitation with me. Weird stuff like that. What about you all? What things were said to you in the disguise of alledgedly "mature"/ dumb counsel? Please share, Thanks. Mr.Flipper

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

don't slander your abusive father... he didnt beat you!

the infamous one

• Mincan
    Mincan

Them telling me not to see my best friend at all anymore when he needed me most. He was never baptised, but was getting involved in drugs and ... in a word losers. I needed to help him and cheer him up, but I wasn't allowed.

Three months later I was out of the truth. (This January)

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

"We can't tell you NOT to come to this congregation.......but could you go somewhere else?"

All because I wasn't afraid to voice my concerns about the elders being cold-hearted. Not to anyone within the congregation other then them.

brzfst

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Dont waste my time getting an education, because armegeon will be here before I get out of school.

• eclipse
    eclipse

I remember a meeting with 2 elders when I was 14 (an unbaptized publisher) because of some random vague memories I was having about an uncle when I was a child....I did not blame or accuse him of doing anything, since I didn't actually recall anything in detail..

I mentioned this bad feeling to my mother, and only to my mother, and she must of told the elders. The next day they were in my living room, sitting me down, and telling me how WRONG it was of me to slander a baptized brother, that making accusations was a serious thing, and not to do so unless I had concrete proof or memories of something happening to me.

I did not accuse anyone! I tried to tell them, but they kept at me, it felt like the interrogationt lasted for over a hour. I was scared & humiliated and I remember sinking into the back of the couch, wanting to disappear within myself. After that, I did not trust to tell an older person, or my mother with my secrets.

• JK666
    JK666

Flipper,

Your question is a tough call since I received so many nuggets of wisdom over my years as a dub.

The worst was when I divorced my ex-wife. She left me and the "TRUFF" to go out partying. When I found out from another witness that worked with her that she was having an affair with a guy and going over to his apartment regularly, a friend and I went to see if it was true.

It was, she would spend most of the night with the guy, than leave early in the morning to go let her dog go to the bathroom. The elders told me that this did not count, as she did not stay until sun up. Apparantly that was the phrase from the Pay Attention book (The super secret book that elders rule by). One night we drug an elder along with us, and while we were watching the apartment, he was looking at the horizon to see if the sun had come up.

Don't get me started,

JK

• sassy-ex-jw
    sassy-ex-jw

well one time I remember I went and got a hair cut and I was so angry that it was so short as I always wanted long hair. Some idiot lady in the cong. complained to an elder about how short it was and that I looked like a boy and they were going to put me on public reproof!! ha ha ha... Man, I was mortified! They didn't publicly reprove me but I had to wear a hat for a while as I was causing some sort of misguidance for this idiot woman and her kids! unbelievable!!

• justsomedude
    justsomedude
    It was, she would spend most of the night with the guy, than leave early in the morning to go let her dog go to the bathroom. The elders told me that this did not count, as she did not stay until sun up. Apparantly that was the phrase from the Pay Attention book (The super secret book that elders rule by). One night we drug an elder along with us, and while we were watching the apartment, he was looking at the horizon to see if the sun had come up.

Do we get to vote for a winner in this contest?

• sassy-ex-jw
    sassy-ex-jw

Gotta admit I like the one with the Elder watching for sunrise... ha ha ha... it's unbelievable how rediculous some of the things are and that people still follow this org....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit