Australian story: Abused JW kid now Melbourne writer

by Inquisitor 25 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• monophonic
    monophonic

amazing, heartbreaking story.....and very well written.

i found her email address and sent her a note yesterday but i haven't heard back.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Great stuff, although there are some errors here and there ((who will be ressurected, that the religion has changed its name "many times", that it was started by "an 18-yearold" (Russell was in his late twenties when organizing the little group in Allegheny)), etc. But all in all, a very heartbreaking story, and I love the fact that the writer is from Melbourne. That magazine, is it situated in Melbourne? Because I have Jehovahs Witness-family there. They are real assholes, and I hope they read this article...

• penny2
    penny2

What a heartbreaking story.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Yes, I did feel rather depressed after reading her story. But I guess she has succeeded in reclaiming her life, having left the abusive environment and abandoned the religion that failed her spiritually.

Hellrider, I don't know if their HQ is based in Melbourne. But Quadrant should be available in all Australian capital cities.

It isn't likely that your JW relatives would buy a magazine like Quadrant. I mean they are constantly blessed with such illuminating socio-political review journals, the Watchtower and the Awake!, how could they possibly find time to read "worldly" magazines?

Personally I don't fancy reading Quadrant much either. It's too conservative for my tastes sometimes.

INQ

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

It was a sad story but lots i could relate to. Thanks for posting the link.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Very sad, and more than a little familiar.

It makes me glad that my parents weren't jws.

• monophonic
    monophonic

---ashlley asked me to post this, i'm not ashlley---

I read some of the replies on the discussion board. Thank you. I have never used discussion boards and am only using a very old, slow computer. So feel free to paste this there as I am appreciative of the comments. They seem to be all positive and supportive. It struck me how kind they are - as if the treatment JWs deal out makes us more accepting of others. Certainly my own wonderful friends include fringe artists, musicians, playwrights, singers, a clown, gay and lesbians, actors, animal rights and greens supporters, recovering heroin and speed addicts and an ex-con. I would also like to know what one poster says I got wrong about resurrection as I wrote it to the teaching I received.

Answering a question there: Quadrant goes into every Australian newsagent. It is a right-wing magazine. (The current 'Prime Minister's favourite magazine' (quoted from his shadow opposition) and he read it.) Much more political than other mags - so a mag I knew JWs would not electively read. Originally the article was accepted into another magazine but they changed the content so much I sent it to an empathetic editor who kept it as I intended.

Reactions have been strong.

The hole I always felt began healing with exposure.

I feel loath to make a book as there are really no good memories ever with my parents and to make it able to be read I only used four windows into different ages as the relentless darkness is hard on a reader.

Regards,
    Ashlley

• eclipse
    eclipse

tears fall, as i type this, for all that you went though, Ashlley...I hope that your journey to healing is filled with love from strangers and friends....

know that there are parents out there who would of loved you and adored you - as you deserved to be loved and adored...

I am so sorry that you went through all that brutal torture...

there are no words to express how much I feel for what you went through...

one of your sisters in spirit...-eclipse

• choosing life
    choosing life

It was a sad and touching story. No child should have to be raised in such a manner. I wondered why, though, the siblings were treated so differently. I have seen families where there is a "whipping child" who seemed to be the one everyone chose to take out their anger on and blame for everything. Surely, the siblings would write a much different story.

These parents were not just jw, but very abusive also. I am sure that combination is deadly to a child. Keep writing and you will show all of them your talent. But know you are perfect already and always have been. You never deserved the rejection you have been forced to endure. I wish you the best.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Monophonic, Can you please PM me her email as I would like to contact her as well. Thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit