JW Jargon

by Scully 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• flipper
    flipper

My favorite is "fleshly"....say that fast 5 times. For some reason it brings to mind those old paintings of naked women who are definitely not anorexic. flipper

• MUNKAFATS
    MUNKAFATS

from an ex interested one , i have to say that i found it strange that they all used the same words (like fleshly) as if they were all brainwashed

• MUNKAFATS
    MUNKAFATS

and can't think for themselves

• kifoy
    kifoy

YC wrote:
    I remember well that I stopped referring to the elders as "Brother so and so" instead using their first and last names or only their last name. For example, if a certain elder would phone and say "Hi, this is Brother Doe, is Brother xxx at home?" I'd say "Just a minute," and then call my then JW husband: "John Doe is on the phone."
    ---

In the areas I have lived, I can't remember having heard or used the "brother" and "sister" about anyone outside ordinary meetings and other organized cong. stuff. When talking about somone, or calling someone, I and everyone I knew would use the persons first name. If it was a total stranger, one might be using full name. Never "may I talk to Brother Doe". The "brother" thing was only used at meetings and similar.

One could say "he's a brother" (meaning he is a JW), but not "I ran into Brother Doe today".

It might be the socitey here in this country. Everything is very informal. The only people everyone in this country are naming very formally in third person are the royal family (king, queen, crown prince/princess). And of course the JWs at meetings -- between the prayers, not before and after.

If I remember correctly, when I was a child, the book studies were so informal that the "brother/sister" thing were not used. Only first names.
    I don't remeber when this changed. But I think they use "brother this and that" now.

This informallity can be really liberating. But it is also kind of weird when things suddenly are formal during meetings.

But about the topic: I find it strange to hear words I used on a daily basis earlier, but have not heard in a long time. I sometimes find it difficult to talk about "Jehovah". I now only use "God".

kifoy

• eclipse
    eclipse

I hate the word ''worldy''

I detest it actually

At an assembly day, a few years ago, to my horror and embarassment I heard the visiting speaker CO/DO say ''worldling''.

He went on to use that ''word'' throughout his entire talk.

I was fading then, and made an appearance to make the family happy...when I heard that brother say worlding, it confirmed all the bad feelings I had inside about this religion and thought - ''NEVER AGAIN''

If I ever hear a JW say ''worldly, worldling'', this is the look they will get 'nuff said.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Jargon I know,

Unbeliever(of free mind), Disfellowshiped(they kicked your ass out), Worldly, Encouragement (trying to make you come back), Demonistic(anything outside of the Org.), New Order (not the band), system of things, the friends(cult members), tracts, the Brothers, inactive (your fading, fading) and finally Apostate (me)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    She went on to let me know that this child had "married an..... unbeliever"

I would have to interupt and say, "What do you mean by 'unbeliever?' Are you saying that she
    was an atheist? A Christian? What?"

ANSWER USUALLY CONSISTS OF "different beliefs"

"Oh, so anyone who doesn't agree with you is an unbeliever, huh?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit