Mincan the spy...

by Mincan 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Mincan
    Mincan

Haha! Yesterday I suggested subtly that I go with my mother and step-dad to their special meeting today.

For all you who don't know what that is, it's like the one day special assembly but even more "special", only certain congregations get to go each year, and it's specifically just for members, not really open to outsiders, and it usually contains "important information" for them on updates and the like.

I will take as many notes as I can, assuming they are interesting and I don't fall asleep. It's only two hours long, and we have to drive all the way to the place where they usually have their district conventions, it will be a large gathering, probably filling this building to its capacity, that is, 5000 or so.

We'll see how it goes! Hopefully I can dig up some earth.

My mother did say though later on yesterday night "I don't know if you're allowed to go." I said "why not?" innocently. She said "I don't know if you're talking to witness haters on the internet or not." I just laughed out "noooo." and laughed some more, like it was crazy talk. Then she started to cry (I suppose at the thought that I'm an apostate and she deep down knows it), then she said "I'll wake you up..."

*evil laugh and smile*

• hubert
    hubert

Good luck.

Hope you bring us back some "cookies".

Hubert

• DJK
    DJK

Dont drink the koolaid.

• blondie
    blondie

Is it the equivalent of the annual meeting held the first week of October for the WTS only Canada. Voting members are specifically invited but can vote by proxy in the US. Invitation only. It's always a snore.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    For all you who don't know what that is, it's like the one day special assembly but even more "special", only certain congregations get to go each year, and it's specifically just for members, not really open to outsiders, and it usually contains "important information" for them on updates and the like.

What the hell is this? Is this a Canadian thing? Never heard of anything like it.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks blondie, for the explanation. I thought it might be something like the anal meeting they have here in the U.S.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Mincan,

We will look forward to your notes. And WELCOME to the forum!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• blondie
    blondie

I'm just guessing about the annual "canadian" meeting. All corporations have to have one and I don't think the US and Canada have merged into one country yet, never say the Quebeckians (sp?).

It's just the business stuff. Although in 2000 the US annual meeting introduced 4 new GB members and explained that the business end and the spiritual end (corporation officers would not = GB members). I think all 4 of those were not pre-1935 candidates. And a black man, first black member on the GB. If there were a GB in the first century, I wonder who the first Gentile member would have been?

Blondie

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Hey Mincan,

Sorry to say, I think you'll be disappointed. Having been to meetings, assemblies, special talks, etc. for all my childhood and adult life, there is never anything new. Oh, sure, they change some superficial things around a bit and alter some doctrine, but it always comes down to: the end is near, go to meetings, do your personal study, be regular preaching door to door, conduct Bible studies, and make donations. What is more, you may be giving your parents false hope that you are willing to go back. It looks like it is hard enough on your mom as it is. Please don't make it harder on your parents. We know it's not the "Truth", but they still take it seriously. Anyway, just a suggestion. Best of luck.

Dave

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    never say the Quebeckians (sp?).

Quebecois? I think?

I'm just a Yank, go easy on me, eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit