Unbaptized minor children of JWs are *NOT* JWs, right?

by Scully 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

How Blood Can Save Your Life - 1990 p 21

Perhaps you have read of cases in which some parent brutalised a child or or denied it all medical care. How tragic! Clearly the State can and should step in to protect a neglected child. Still it is easy to see how very different it is when a caring parent requests high quality non blood medical therapy.

So they recognize that a parent does not have the right to follow other religious beliefs and deny all medical care - that would be "neglect" and the State should over rule them. Parents rights or not.... But their own restrictions, which in any particular case my be just as lethal are "different"

How come!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think it all boils down to THEOCRATIC PROPERTY RIGHTS.

Children are the property of the father, just as their mother is (assuming marriage), just as the dog and goat in the yard it (marriage not necessary), just as the beanbag chair is (possession implies ownership).

For my money, beanbag chairs are more comfortable to sit on than children.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Though I agree in principle, certainly parents have to make all sorts of medical decisions for his/her children thoughout the years prior to the age of majority.

Though I cannot agree with the Jw position on blood any longer - I don't see how parental rights can be revoked in general. The answer is in specific. Virtually any court in the civilised world will enforce a court ordered transfusion to children. The best way is to find ways to get the courts involved sooner. Once the child is grown, he/she will decide for himself. Until then, nature dictates the way it happens methinks.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit