Tragedy and God's Will

by cultBgone 12 Replies latest social current

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

A few years ago, my Mother in Law got a large $ettlement from a class action suit against the government because her husband died of cancer at 48 after a work related exposure to radiation. She didn't even know she was part of the suit until some awful worldly people investigated his death, tracked her down, alerted her to her eligibility and helped her every step of the way.

She viewed the settlement as a direct blessing from Jehovah and an indication that he wanted her to continue regular Pioneering. (30+ years). I very gently (in so many words) reminded her that yes, the settlement was a good thing, but to say it was from Jehovah was almost like saying Jehovah wanted all those people (including her husband) to die from radiation exposure so that she would have enough money to continue pioneering. The cognitive dissonance immediately kicked in and she found a way to make it work out in her own mind.

Although very healthy otherwise, she is now losing her memory and the family is dependent on that money for her long term care, however we recently found a large brochure that the WT Society sent her, outlining all the different ways she can give them the money Jehovah blessed her with. (I wonder how they knew?).

• cofty
    cofty
    The moral of the story in all areas of death is......are you ready to die? - Shortfuse

Christianity is a cult of death that belongs to a dark world of fear and superstition.

• steve2
    steve2

Belief in a god who intervenes to save you and/or your loved ones whilst sundry others perish requires a healthy dollop of narcissism (I.e., that something about you is special enough to have resulted in god's intervention).

People most impressed with and 'taken by' religious belief are usually vulnerable to tales of specialness to help thrm survive and cope in a huge impersonal world. Very understandable but equally developmentally childish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit