Why go to church?

by lv4fer 15 Replies latest jw friends

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Little Toe wrote

On another note: I recommend trying it at least once for every exJW if for no other reason than it breaks down the mental barriers, that the WTS implanted, in their attempts to demonise everything. Once you can walk in, without qualms, you have accomplished something significant for yourself, IMHO.

Although I'm an atheist myself, I totally agree with Ross here.

Linda and I went to a Baptist church earlier this year to support a close exjw
    friend who was being baptised as a Christian, and although I'd been away from
    the org for well over 7 years and hadn't been to another place of worship, apart
    from a wedding and a couple of funerals, since then, I must admit I found it
    somewhat liberating to be there, as did Linda, who shares my atheistic feelings.

Neither of us have been back since then, but we may go again if Marion asked
    us to. I think that whatever ones' personal feelings regarding belief or disbelief
    in god, actually entering another place of worship is a worthwhile step for any
    ex jw. It's a way of proving to ourselves that we have or are well on the way to
    breaking away from the years of indoctrination and mind control we all endured
    during our time in the watchtower.

dedpoet

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Been to several since leaving the witnesses. Some good, some not so good. I've attended a generic non-denominational Community Church, Charismatic Churches, Methodist, Catholic, and several others. I don't attend any right now and, for me, I like that just fine. I've found some churches warm and accepting, some very very cold and distant. What turns me off about churches is that most of them think that theirs is the right religion, and if you don't believe as we do, then you are going to hell. (Note just to clarify, this has been MY experience only...your mileage may vary.) I've come to the conclusion that I don't need to regularly attend church to worship God.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Ever since we became inactive I have been visiting the Methodist church down the street off and on .At first it was just liberating to enter a church and not have the demons strike me down .lol . Yesterday my husband was gone to a tournament so I went to church . I think I go for the hugs and the feeling of being apart of something bigger than myself . At church I do feel like I am actually worshipping , as a witness I always felt like I was just going to school . Some of the ritural is kind of nice like when the audience says part of the prayer with the Pastor . The service I attend is very contemporary . Every Sunday is different and alot of spontaneous things happen ....like yesterday a teenager had a birthday, and the night before his friends dyed his ears and chin red ..the Pastor brought him up front and had everyone sing Happy Birthday to him ,funny as heck ,the boy was embarrassed but was having fun too. There was a baptism of a Father and his new baby son , and it was very touching . After the sermon all the Senior graduates for this year (wore their cap and gowns for the whole service) came to the Alter and the three Pastors of the church prayed over them individually and then had the whole congregation say a prayer for them. The Pastor then said to these young people "We know you will be going in many directions after school ,but know this, if you need anything we are here for you .If you are lead into temptation at college feel free to call anyone of us ,and we will encourage you through it . Always know you are welcome back here to your church family ." I nearly cried and thought if only the Kingdom Hall could have been as half encouraging to the young ones there ..... instead they beat them down until the individuality is destroyed and all that is left is the robotic shell of a dub.

• Sirona
    Sirona

I recommend it! Just make sure you attend a church that isn't cultish. I did it for a while when I first left the dubs.

Never forget:

The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible.
    George Burns
    US actor & comedian (1896 - 1996)
    I love churches, they are beautiful buildings, usually. I also enjoy religious services as long as they are not fundamentalist.

Being pagan, I find that "sacred space" created by pagans (with the aid of Lord and Lady of course) gives much the same feeling of peace and spirituality as a church does. It is more profound outside because I believe being out in nature far exceeds being in church (weather permitting LOL )

Sirona

• Sirona
  • Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    At church I do feel like I am actually worshipping , as a witness I always felt like I was just going to school .

Troubled Mind - that is the way I felt as well! I'd look around at the people there and see that they were actually "worshipping", it was completely different from what I saw/experienced at the KH.

It is more profound outside because I believe being out in nature far exceeds being in church (weather permitting LOL )

Sirona - I feel the same way.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit