Nothing.

by Narkissos 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Perhaps this paradoxical "topic" is one with which we here have dealt a little more, or a little more consciously, than the average population.

We used to have our heads full of beliefs (which we called "truth") in every direction: on theology, on cosmology, on paleontology, on past history, on so-called prophetic future, on heaven above, on earth, on she'ol beneath. On many things -- current events, traditions, other peoples' beliefs and behaviours -- we had strong opinions which were directly or indirectly (the famous "conscience" matters) part of the same deal. And of course our life was filled with activities and relationships, a community of "friends," people to "help" or "teach," etc.

Then, gradually or suddenly, we came to suspect, often with a measure of terror, that all of this was not what we had thought and might sooner or later turn into... nothing.

This "nothing" is perhaps one of the most scary thoughts to people contemplating leaving the org one way or another. Whence their natural inclination to ask, or to look, for something to replace what they are about to lose -- alternative beliefs, political or moral opinions, activities or communities. Which the Internet today make easier to find, for the better or the worse.

However, with this experience of loss we may also develop an unexpected taste for "nothing". With less and less beliefs and opinions as lens to "uncipher" the world and make "sense" of it we may find that we actually see it better and enjoy its vast meaningless wealth of ever-changing forms and colours in a non-judgemental way. Without a cause to uphold and promote, without a "club" of kindred minds we find it easier to relate to complete strangers and appreciate their differences. Without the noise of constant "reasoning" in our mind we hear the sound of life better and enjoy its uncanny music. So "nothing" was nothing to be afraid of after all. "Nothing" was nothing but the secret door hidden in the darkest depth of anguish and self-worry, and opening on "everything".

In philosophy, "nihilism" (apart from a 19th-century Russian revolutionary movement by this name) is claimed by almost nobody. It is a sort of "libel label" which philosophers tend to pin on each other and defend themselves of (Nietzsche, Camus, and several so-called "postmodernists" come to mind). Everyone wants to come up with positive "values" and "truths" -- even of an increasingly paradoxical kind. In religion Taoism, to a lesser extent Buddhism and some "negative theologians" of the middle ages, have left a central place to "non-being," "non-doing," and "non-willing". But the end product still looks like a doctrine -- something to think, to teach or to practice. Having something to say about nothing is not the least of contradictions -- to which this post is no exception.

Our unfinished approach to "nothing" (the hole-shaped god perhaps, to parody Blaise Pascal) is, of necessity, a secret and silent one. But we can still wave to each other along our diverging ways. Which I felt like doing, although I know I have nothing to say.

Comments welcome. Nothing will be fine.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Great post! Thank you for this! I have nothing to add. ;-)

Dave

• JamesThomas
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have great difficulty with this Nakissos. I did not realise before how much my thought was structured by the grand Witness narrative and its many sub-plots. Now that I have no narrative I can believe in it is hard sometimes to be motivated to say anything. As soon as I assert something I doubt its truthfulness. It is as though something claimed is negated by the very claim. Better keep quiet then.

This is why I have trouble with apostate narratives too. They don't offer freedom at all. They want to supplant one set of narratives for another. I would prefer no narrative at all thank you. I have had enough of that. But isn't perhaps this "nothingness" simply a grander narrative than we will allow ourselves to even see? Sometimes I catch myself thinking "there you go, look at that what just happened - doesn't that just go to prove there is not sense to anything?" But isn't that constructing a category of thought (a neat box) just the same as when I used to think: "well that proves Jehovah is looking over things" or "that just goes to show how wicked fallen men are"? It might be a bigger, more chaotic box, but am I not still confined somehow by this nothingness?

The only thing I want to believe in now is the total freedom to explore possibilities. And I want to be careful about that. I want to "believe" in it in as much as it speaks to my present desire, not because I think it contains a principle by which others in turn must structure their lives. What I mean is that power should be dispersed. No claim should be accepted, but interrogated for its relation to power. And "evidence" may be the worst place to look. Evidence is like the trick the magician plays when he want you to look in the wrong place. However unsettling it is I have become accustomed to asking "how" rather than "whether" in relation to truth claims. There is no right or wrong that we can decipher, but we can begin the project of working out how some things came to be held as true by certain people at certain times. So apostate claims need to be challenged lest they become true; not because they are untrue. I have to admire the impulse to subvert the taken-for-granted in whatever form it comes.

So while I don't believe in any grand story nowadays, I want to be careful about excluding the possibility that I should follow one in the future, if only because I fear that if I exclude even that possiblity I might create such a strong sense of the world that I become trapped in it. I remain pessimistic about the prospects nonetheless.

I doubt whether this post means anything. Better keep quiet then.

Slim

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I think, therfore I am. Is there anyone capable of really shutting out the noise? It is our own consciousness that causes fear because we have no gauruntees in life. Animals don't worry but I wouldn't say they get really excited about life either. It is said we evolved huge brains to control an out of control nervous system.

Does your study of philosophy, language and religion convince you there is nothing but our own constructs to rid us of these inherent fears? I still have a hard time getting my mind around this God shaped hole. Does that mean that God is nothing? If there were no noise from doctrines values etc. Would that be Utopia? I have a hard time following even this post but I feel it is an attempt by you to reach out to all, not just intellects as yourself. I don't know if I fully understand you my freind when you write, but I get the feeling you are a humanist that definately has values and I wave back to you.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Look how successful Seinfeld was, it premise was a story about nothing. People tuned in to laugh about a show that Seinfeld said was about nothing. He actually meant that the show was really insignificant and common placed. Yet, all those clever stories week after week tickled our funny bone.

I know that what I just wrote means nothing.

Slimfatboy,what are apostate narratives?

Blueblades

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>It is our own consciousness that causes fear because we have no gauruntees in life.

Is it our consciousness, or our thoughts, that cause fear? Stopping thought is not easy, but if you manage it even for a moment, you'll love it. No thought, no fear, no hope, no dread. Nothing is Everything.

Dave

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Well Dave, them I'm greatly lookin forward to poppin off

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I might also say that there is also no joy no sex no love with no consciousness. I changed my mind, Plug me into the matrix instead.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Hei, Nark,

It's a shame it's so late, I tell you tomorrow. Bonne nuit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit