The Religious States of America in 22 Maps

by blondie 11 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• blondie
  • millie210
    millie210
    Frankly I was amazed that JWs made it on there at all! Especially when larger groups didnt - like Seventh Day Adventists,
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Wouldn't Seventh Day Adventists be classified as Protestant? They probably grouped them in one of the protestant categories.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

From a purely technical POV, JWs are Protestants, too.

They use the Protestant Bible canon (albeit heavily edited to favor WT ideology), they're evangelical (even if they don't use the label), and they've historically displayed regular animosity towards the RCC.

Not that they'd ever admit it, of course.

x

Realizing this was another one of my little wake-up moments, BTW.

• millie210
    millie210
    cappytan
    Wouldn't Seventh Day Adventists be classified as Protestant? They probably grouped them in one of the protestant categories.

Good point, I didnt realize that.

Vidiot

From a purely technical POV, JWs are Protestants, too.

They use the Protestant Bible canon (albeit heavily edited to favor WT ideology), they're evangelical (even if they don't use the label), and they've historically displayed animosity towards the RCC.

Not that they'd ever admit it, of course.

Realizing this was another one of my little wake-up moments, BTW

I think JWs wanted to be excluded from the Protestant label because they have tried so hard to look "unique". I think that is really ALL that is behind no birthdays, no holidays, no cross, etc. Especially since they have no problem including other pagan customs and symbols.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ millie210...

The cross, definitely (from all other Christian denominations, RCC included)...

...but birthdays and holiday prohibitions were more, I think, to do with socially isolating the R&F from non-JW family and acquaintances.

As for other things with "pagan" origins, they simply weren't well-informed enough to actually know how things like baptism, wedding rings, and so on actually got their start (or their non-Christian connections were more recent historical discoveries, but just too ingrained in Western cultural fabric to easily ditch).

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    Thanks Blondie, had missed this post!
  • millie210
    millie210
    I "liked" your post Vidot, and thanks for going in to detail about the pagan things they allow.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ millie210...

Thanks, ditto, and the list of modern Western cultural phenomena that have pagan origins is actually much longer.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro
    Thanks for posting this!! Very interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit