Are Interracial Relationships—A Taboo Subject?

by The wanderer 64 Replies latest jw friends

• stapler99
    stapler99

MsMcDucket, thank you for that list. Some of the items mentioned were also mentioned on the website from the link I gave before. The expression "real McCoy" does not refer to Elijah McCoy. Frederick Jones did not invent the refrigerated truck. And Daniel Hale Williams was not the first to perform open heart surgery.

But that is not the point. Doubtless there have indeed been many blacks that have made signifigant contributions to our knowledge and technology, bad examples such as the ones mentioned notwithstanding. Probably some of on your list are valid. However that does not mean that the creative and intellectual potential of blacks as a group is equal to that of other races. Looking at IQ levels for example (which don't give the whole picture of what someone can achieve but it is good for demonstrating this point) the IQ in a population follows something like a normal distribution curve. Between population groups the mean of the curve may differ by a handful of IQ points, 5 or 10. This may sound insignifigant, and there is indeed considerable overlap between the populations, but at the extremes of the distribution there is much more of an effect. Shifting the curve towards lower IQ by a small amount results in greatly less people with high-level IQs, the very people who are likely to contribute towards progress, scientific and other, and many more people with moronic IQs, the people who are going to make the social system break down and contribute to general disorder and chaos. So although there may be a number of black geniuses, doesn't mean that a merging of the white and black gene pools wouldn't have a catastrophic effect for the nature of our society.

Not that I would say that IQ is the only issue. Generally it has been shown that East Asians have a higher IQ than whites. That doesn't mean that I would be in favour of miscegenation between the Chinese population and the European population, in order to increase IQ levels in Europe. My view is, once we have established that racial differences are real, then it becomes worth trying to preserve the races as they are. That way the diversity means that each race can contribute to humanity whatever its unique characteristics have to offer in the way of progress.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Fred Jones - Thermo King Corp.

May 17

Frederick M.
    Jones
    *This date marks the birth of Frederick McKinley Jones in 1892. He was an African-American inventor.

Frederick Jones was born in Cincinnati, Ohio. Returning from France after serving in World War I, he worked as a garage mechanic. With his experience as a mechanic, he developed a self-starting gasoline motor. His mastery of electronic devices was largely self-taught, through work experience and the inventing process. He arrived in Minnesota in 1912 and soon took a job as a mechanic on a farm in Kittson County owned by James J. Hill.

In the late 1920s, Jones designed a series of devices for the developing movie industry, which adapted silent movie projectors to use talking movie stock. He also developed an apparatus for the movie box-office that delivers tickets and returns change to customers and a snowmobile. Frederick M. Jones was granted more than 40 patents in the field of refrigeration. In 1935 he invented the first automatic refrigeration system for long-haul trucks. Jones' inspiration for the refrigeration unit was a conversation with a truck driver who had lost a shipment of chickens because the trip took too long and the truck's storage compartment overheated.
    The system was, in turn, adapted to a variety of other common carriers, including ships and railway cars. The invention eliminated the problem of food spoilage during long shipping times. The ability to provide fresh produce across the United States during the middle of summer or winter changed the American consumer's eating habits. Frederick Jones also developed an air-conditioning unit for military field hospitals and a refrigerator for military field kitchens.
    Frederick Jones died February 21, 1961, receiving a total of over 60 patents in his career.
  • MsMcDucket
  • Elijah McCoy (1844-1929), Black Canadian inventor of a lubrication system for steam engines. Supposedly, after failed attempts by competitors to make counterfeits of his lubricant, the phrase "real McCoy" was used to refer to his authentic product.
  • MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    alt

Daniel Hale Williams Encyclopedia Britannica
    alt
    (Born Jan. 18, 1858, Hollidaysburg, Pa.—Died Aug. 4, 1931, Idlewild, Mich.)

American physician and founder of Provident Hospital in Chicago, credited with the first successful heart surgery.

Williams graduated from Chicago Medical College in 1883. He served as surgeon for the South Side Dispensary (1884–92) and physician for the Protestant Orphan Asylum (1884–93). In response to the lack of opportunity for blacks in the medical professions, he founded (1891) the nation's first interracial hospital, Provident, to provide training for black interns and the first school for black nurses in the United States. He was a surgeon at Provident (1892–93, 1898–1912) and surgeon in chief of Freedmen's Hospital, Washington, D.C. (1894–98), where he established another school for black nurses.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/aaworld/reference/articles/daniel_hale_williams.html

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Stapler99

miscegenation

I haven't heard that term since "O Brother, where art thou?"

Holy Schnikees, you need to get an education, man!

It has been genetically proven that we are at most no more than 50th cousins to one another (in the extreme example) whilst most of us on this planet are much, much, closer related than that!

BA- Repeatedly tested at highest 1/10% of population, yet IQ isn't everything- survival ultimately counts more than any other measure. Chew on that, bigot.

PS- Amazed at ignorance.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Enabling the blind to see is the greatest joy of Dr. Patricia Bath, eye surgeon, professor of ophthalmology, inventor of the Laserphaco Probe for the treatment of cataracts, and founder of the American Institute for the Prevention of Blindness. An independent thinker, she has been a trailblazer for women and African Americans in the medical profession, being the first to attain many of the highest academic honors and appointments in her field.

In March 2000, Bath talked about her life and work with students from three schools as part of the Lemelson Center's Innovative Lives series. Students from Thoreau Middle School in Virginia and Evans Middle School in Washington, D.C., met with her at the National Museum of American History, while classes from the Martin Luther King Elementary School in Los Angeles participated through video conferencing. Bath urged the students to follow their own career interests, to give back to their communities, and to believe in the power of their own ideas. "Believe in the power of truth," she told them. "Do not allow your mind to be imprisoned by majority thinking. Remember that the limits of science are not the limits of imagination."

Patricia Bath

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I am in an interracial relationship, and have been for 20 years. Is it easy? Of course not. There are cultural diferrences that at times present us with problems, but we work through them, and it has only made our relationship stronger and more special for both of us.

I am Canadian (Irish/Italian) and my wife is Asian. We have been maried for 20 years now and have 4 great kids, and 2 grandchildren.

I wouldn't change it for all the tea in China.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    In my opinion each race should be preserved black, white and yellow so there shouldn't be extensive intermarriage between them.

In the spirit of preserving the common 'genepool', do you then also support the practice of incest? In my opinion, that is what you are proposing on a much larger scale.

I personally think freedom and happiness are more important than that of preserving a specific skin color.

Skin color, truly has nothing to do with the character and makeup of a person.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Did anyone else notice just how many Canadians picked up on this thread?

I wonder why.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

OK, I am going to sleep on this....but boy do I have a lot of things to say about this topic first off...Then the responses. What century did I die and wake up in?

Holy crapola!

What kind of question is this in the first place?

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit