Engardio's Article about Jw's in USA Today....

by AK - Jeff 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/2007-05-06-opledereligion_N.htm?csp=34

I agree with most of the 'benefits' he describes from the religion - particularly the civil liberties they have gained in the US. Story is one-sided, but ok.

By Joel P. Engardio Please excuse me if I ever disrupted your laundry, yard work or nap by knocking on your door. A Jehovah's Witness on your front porch is not a Girl Scout with cookies or a neighbor out of sugar. So I understand why you cursed and slammed the door. My Watchtower magazine and other Bible literature, with messages on morality and "false" religion, can be heavy reading. But did you really need to sic your dog on me?

Allowing Jehovah's Witnesses to knock door-to-door says a lot about the freedoms we value in America: religion, speech and personal liberty. It isn't easy letting people fully exercise their rights when you don't agree with their message or lifestyle. It seems threatening, which explains our current culture war. Jehovah's Witnesses uniquely demonstrate how to avoid this impasse and show us not only how religious and personal freedoms can peacefully co-exist, but also why they must.

I was in preschool in Saginaw, Mich., when I began helping my mom spread the "good news" of Jehovah's Kingdom. Designated doorbell-ringer was a cool job for a 4-year-old, even if our Saturday morning ministry meant sacrificing my cartoon-watching. That was a struggle. But our 10:30 a.m. coffee break was a blessing. That's when we would gather at Dunkin' Donuts, try not to get powdered sugar on our suits and dresses, swap stories and laugh. We always knew when you were "home-but-hiding."

As a teenager, I gave presentations at doorsteps around town in hopes of becoming a "publisher," or minister, of the Bible. I found fulfillment in telling others — anyone who cared to listen — that all of mankind's plagues would be solved when God's kingdom arrived. Eventually, though, I decided I wanted to take on the world's problems now. So I didn't become a Jehovah's Witness. I became a journalist. That was the first time I broke my mom's heart.

The courts and the Witnesses

In college, it surprised me to see Jehovah's Witnesses in the footnotes of my history books. I knew they were unpopular, but I hadn't realized how often they had been denied their rights to speak, worship, assemble and live as they chose. They had been regulars at the U.S. Supreme Court since the 1930s, arguing that the First Amendment was an empty promise to citizens outside the mainstream. Jehovah's Witnesses have argued 62 cases before the high court. Only the U.S. government has argued more. Jehovah's Witnesses won 50 of the cases, breathing life into the Bill of Rights and setting precedents for the civil rights movement.

"The Jehovah's Witnesses ought to have an endowment in view of the aid which they give in solving the legal problems of civil liberties," Chief Justice Harlan Fiske Stone wrote. His court would reverse itself in 1943, at the height of World War II, overturning a 1940 decision affirming the government's right to force citizens to perform patriotic rituals. Jehovah's Witnesses had refused to say the nation's Pledge of Allegiance, saying only God deserved such devotion. "If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation," Justice Robert Jackson wrote in deciding the case, "it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion or other matters of opinion."

Reading my textbooks, I realized that's why my mom and I had the right to knock on your door. You may have been annoyed, but the annoyance led to court cases that expanded freedom for all. And not just in the USA. Since the fall of communism in the early 1990s, Jehovah's Witnesses have done the same in emerging democracies, winning 34 of their 45 cases before the European Court of Human Rights.

Politics isn't a part of it

The second time I broke my mom's heart was when I told her I am gay. Jehovah's Witnesses are social conservatives. Members can't be actively gay and can't get an abortion; women can't serve as religious leaders. These positions are not unique to this religion, of course. Just ask any gay kid how easy it was to come out to his Evangelical Christian, Roman Catholic or Mormon family. Yet Jehovah's Witnesses don't try to force their beliefs on others through politics. They would never protest an abortion clinic, bankroll a campaign against gay marriage or vote to restrict what they view as "sins." They believe that Jesus commanded Christians to stay out of politics and all war, including culture wars.

Jehovah's Witnesses do use the courts, however, to protect their Christian way of life. They choose to live within certain self-imposed boundaries, which include shunning members who reject the agreed-upon standards. But they also recognize and accept the fact that outside groups will benefit from their legal victories. Imagine if all religions had enough confidence in their faith that someone else's definition of marriage, life or morality posed no threat to their own.

So am I offended because my mom still distributes The Watchtower magazines, which include articles calling homosexuality a sin? If we want an open and free marketplace of ideas, many messages we don't like will compete for our attention. That's OK as long as no one is forced to listen or comply. Once you've said, "No, thanks" and closed the door, Jehovah's Witnesses will leave you in peace (at least until their next visit).

I'm proud of my door-knocking childhood, especially now that I recognize the legal legacy of my mom's faith. Consider this: At their last Supreme Court appearance, in 2002, Jehovah's Witnesses successfully argued that the climate of fear surrounding 9/11 should not justify the government's right to limit free speech by requiring permission to knock. I want to live in a society where everyone has the right to knock on a door and speak face-to-face with his neighbor. Even, as Justice Sandra Day O'Connor said, if it's just to "borrow a cup of sugar."

Joel P. Engardio has written and narrated KNOCKING, a documentary about Jehovah's Witnesses that will air May 22 on the PBS series Independent Lens.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm starting to like him. I agree that the JW's have helped preserve civil liberties in our country. I'm not so convinced that:

But they also recognize and accept the fact that outside groups will benefit from their legal victories. Imagine if all religions had enough confidence in their faith that someone else's definition of marriage, life or morality posed no threat to their own.

I don't think the rank and file or the leadership could care a whit how their victories have helped other groups.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I don't think the rank and file or the leadership could care a whit how their victories have helped other groups.

I believe you are correct on that Janet, as far as the GB is concerned. But, remember Joel was spoon fed the WTS spin-doctored view as a youth. I recall many articles and talks in which this was stated as fact. It cannot be denied that the Jw' s have made huge impact on religious freedom - and that has transferred across the line to civil liberty also.

I do believe that many R&F Jw's are proud of that. I know I was. We were not interested in how other groups fared, true. But many of us were quite proud of the legal victories and what it meant within the legal system for other individuals.

Jeff

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

So, will the WTS/GB give its own members the same liberties it fights in court for?

Freedom of speech, freedom of association, freedom to express personal views. Freedom to follow personal convictions, such as with the medical use of blood. Freedom to speak openly to DF'd loved ones.

I would like to see that.

Doug

• carla
    carla

I agree with Doug. My jw gave up trying to use that on me, how wonderful the org is for fighting the good fight for freedom because I would ask if the r & f were given the same rights. Never failed to stop him cold as he has no defense for that.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

True, but only half of the truth.

Indeed, it takes intolerant subcultures to test and establish the tolerance of society at large. But woe to those who get trapped into them...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/112798/1.ashx

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

You know, maybe this would be a good opportunity to send USA Today a rebuttal of that "Knocking" article.

Let them know that the WT Society was successful in shutting down the "Quotes" website. Let the readers see that the JW religion is only interested in its own freedoms and will go to great lengths to silence its critics.

• Mary
    Mary
    Jehovah's Witnesses do use the courts, however, to protect their Christian way of life. They choose to live within certain self-imposed boundaries, which include shunning members who reject the agreed-upon standards. But they also recognize and accept the fact that outside groups will benefit from their legal victories. Imagine if all religions had enough confidence in their faith that someone else's definition of marriage, life or morality posed no threat to their own.

Give me a break. The Governing Body and their henchmen lawyers don't give a damn if their 'victories' benefit anyone else outside the religion. In fact, they probably just view it as a necessary evil if they're to get what they want. Given their past rants and hatred of "false religion" and their glee that everything outside of the WTB&TS will be destroyed at Armageddon, it is ludicrous to suggest that they're fighting for anyone or anything outside their domain.

I hadn't realized how often they had been denied their rights to speak, worship, assemble and live as they chose. They had been regulars at the U.S. Supreme Court since the 1930s, arguing that the First Amendment was an empty promise to citizens outside the mainstream. Jehovah's Witnesses have argued 62 cases before the high court. Only the U.S. government has argued more. Jehovah's Witnesses won 50 of the cases, breathing life into the Bill of Rights and setting precedents for the civil rights movement...............Jehovah's Witnesses had refused to say the nation's Pledge of Allegiance, saying only God deserved such devotion.

It never fails to amaze (or disgust) me, how some people view the Witnesses as being heros for the above. According to Wikipedia, the term "allegence" means: "...Allegiance is the tie which binds the subject to the Sovereign in return for that protection which the Sovereign affords the subject...." The WTS wants and demands the "protection" from the Sovereign (or government in this case), yet they refuse to do their part by doing something as simple as show respect and honor to the very country that they whine is denying them their "Rights". They refuse to fight for their country which provides them all kinds of freedom and Rights, and up until recently, refused to even do alternative services.

The WTS are certainly not the heros that they try to say they are. The fact that they will go to all the way to the Supreme Court to cry "discrimination" and "violation of our Rights" and "Freedom of Religion", yet at the same time, publish literature claiming these entities are being run by Satan, shows them to be nothing more than cowardly hypocrites. Furthermore, as we are all too well aware, the WTS denies its members the very same freedoms and rights that they fight for in court. Perhaps Engardio is trying to get back into his mother's good books by promoting a pro-Witness document such as this, I don't know. However, IMO, any positive outcome in their court battles to win them their 'rights', does not begin to compare with the damage, emotionally, financially, mentally, physically and spiritually, they have inflicted upon millions of members.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Amen Mary !!!!

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I thought it was kind of funny that this article about all the court cases that they won came out just as we were hearing about the one that they didn't win!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit