What is the JW position on attending weddings in other churches?

by Kudra 21 Replies latest jw friends

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Audesapere, wrote "you are marrying a non-believer"

Maybe you didn't read that he was studying to be a minister, and is gonna use scripture in the wedding ceremony. I think he's a believer.

Seems the wedding is there because HE wants it in the church. If that's not a big deal, then have it somewhere other than the Chapel, and get the people you invited to show up. Problem solved. He can still use the scripture anywhere you have the wedding, and most scripture is the same or similar among all the versions, so the JW's can relate to it too.

What would be funny though is if he whipped out a big Cross in his hand near the end and waved it around like they were vampires or something!! Ha Ha!

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

When my daughter got married the JW family members came. When the second one got married..they came..(both in a church).

When the first one got divorced and several years later got remarried..none came. New light must have come out. My daughter was so sad that her own father and grandma and grandpa all of a sudden couldn't come.

I was the only relative that showed up (late)..I got lost..

Oh well..that marriage only lasted 5 years..

Snoozy..

ps..When the JW family members did come to the earlier ones..all they did was make fun and snicker all through the talk.Such a good witness...not!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Audesapere, wrote "you are marrying a non-believer"
    Maybe you didn't read that he was studying to be a minister, and is gonna use scripture in the wedding ceremony. I think he's a believer.

He's not a 'believer' according to the witnesses. Also, I think it's the friend of the groom that was studying to be a minister - the one conducting the ceremony.

So let me rephrase that. You are marrying 'out of the truth'. Many witnesses will have a problem attending such a ceremony.

-Aude.

• Kudra
    Kudra

mmmmmmmmm....

:(

Thank you all for your replies, yes, I realize that I should tell the dubs what the real deal is... I wonder what they will do?

I think when they see that I:

- do not go to meetings at all,

- am more than happy, even overjoyed with my life how it is,

- and how much of a non-issue that the WT is for me now

some might rat me out, or just never contact me again (also not attend).

This is so ridiculous. A wedding is such a joyous event and the dub mentality makes is so you can't just enjoy an old friend's happy day...

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Sorry Audesapere, I'm an idiot who reads too fast!

Still, 2 non-believers having a church ceremony with scripture? They gotta believe somewhere in their minds. Why would they want a marriage "under God", if not believing? Just cause it's fun?

• Kudra
    Kudra

Hey!

Let's ask the "two non-believers"!!

Ahem...

I am a non-believer all the way. My sweetie has a spiritual side, enjoys going to ceremonies once in a while, attends services once in a while at places where there is a good message- he does not need scriptures of a particular faith but believes in a higher *something* and feels that at places of worship.

We chose the chapel in the mountains because we had heard that it was a beautiful place for a wedding, close friends of our had their ceremony there and really enjoyed it, it is in a region that we have some nice history in those mountains, having the wedding ceremony at a chapel lends it a traditional feeling that we both appreciate, and our parents (well, his mainly) would enjoy a wedding ceremony with a spiritual feel.

It is a structure with rows of seating that will be comfortable for our extended family and friends to sit in and participate in our day. We also would like our friend, a minister, to deliver the service there. We would like him to do the ceremony in a way that incorporates everyone's spirituality, and that is all nicely accommodated in that little chapel in the hills.

I guess we would be happy just in a field in the middle of nowhere but having it in that structure lends it an official air while keeping us out of a stuffy church and in nature where we like to be.

So there!

;)

-K

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I got married 21 years ago - got married on a Friday ( by a judge), because none of my family would attend. The reception was the next day, some family members came, most did'nt and only 1 JW that I invited came.

My husband was raised in the truth lie, but his dad was a non-believer.

So who knows what will happen, they never follow the same rules, they change their minds about things all the time. Just make sure you enjoy your special day and don't let the JW B*&& Shite interfere with your day!!

nj

• sir82
    sir82
    I am a fader and everyone kiiiinda knows that

FYI, you will be announced as "no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" at the next meeting, if any elder hears of this.

No judicial committee "trial" is necessary. "By your actions" you will be considered to be disassociated. Sharing in any kind of "Babylon the Great" religious ceremony (e.g., getting married in a church) is one of the things specifically mentioned in the elder manual as not needing a judicial committee. Just 2 witnesses & you're out.

Just a heads up, in case it matters to you.

• Mad
    Mad

To bring earplugs!

• Mad
    Mad

Utter nonsense! Many of us will go to them to honor a friend or relative that is a non-believer. I Did when one of my sons (an unbeliever) was married- and all in the congregation knew. Nothing of that ridiculous claim- as a lot said here- is true!

the Mad JW

PS- That's when I decided if I ever do that again, to bring earplugs!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit