ALERT: All Child Abuse Lawsuits have been settled. Millions cashed out???

by What-A-Coincidence 229 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

bernadette:

A question:

We have more leverage now for our ongoing revolution.

Who is the "we" you speak of?

• bernadette
    bernadette

ozziepost

Who is the "we" you speak of?

All of us - what i mean to say that in whatever situation we find ourselves - to think about how best we can use the settling of lawsuits to prompt changes in some of the damaging aspects of jw teachings and practices.

You have a pm

bernadette

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

I have one question.... (and not enough time to read through ALL these comments)

Is there any EVIDENCE that there has been a settlement outside of rumor and speculation?

Because if there is... that is enough. Oh how I remember the way the jw's I know would pour their disgust on the Catholic CHurch and their incredulity on those who PUT MONEY IN THE PLATE TO PAY FOR THESE JUDGEMENTS.

A settelement is tantamount to an admission of liability. That is why when people are absolutely innocent, they don't strike a deal.

SO back to my original question. Do we KNOW that there was a settlement? If not, why not? I remember when Michael Jackson settled in the original child molestor case, it was widely reported. I mean, when there is a settlement, there are court documents produced... no? aka EVIDENCE.

Do we have any?

CYP

• Gill
    Gill

Nirya - Not only the WT society aka the Jehovah's Witnesses have been caught 'wanting' in the issue of child abuse but Catholic and Protestant religions. You cannot say that only the JWs are trying to sort out this problem, as they like the other religions are only trying to sort out how they 'deal' with the issues so that they do not have to pay any money out to survivors of abuse.

It is very unfair to say that only the WT is trying to sort this out. In they end they ALL have to follow the same legal steps to protect 'themselves' from law suits by always reporting abuse and that is all!

• metatron
    metatron

I think Garybuss has expressed some solid observations about this emerging news. The critical point

is what do they do now? Unless they're complete idiots ( and their lawyers aren't) , they need to

make big changes.

For us, this represents a huge opportunity to advertise this Watchtower defeat, once the details

come out.

metatron

• metatron
    metatron

So, the Watchtower "is working on it"? That's what you think?

Let's look at the facts: The Catholic Church has made priests and bishops publically apologize

for their actions - but the Watchtower NEVER APOLOGIZES FOR ANYTHING. Score:

Catholics 1, Watchtower zero.

The Catholic Church has not ( to my knowledge) excommunicated whistleblowers about

child sexual abuse - the Watchtower DOES! Score: Catholics 2, Watchtower zero

The Catholic Church has open discussions and admissions that they have moral problems.

And the Watchtower has the continuing pretense of a "spiritual paradise" Score: Catholics 3,

Watchtower zero.

metatron

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Kimberly Norris, their attorney. I asked her a couple of years ago in this list and she said she would never settle.

Jumping into yesterday's debate. She probably did say that and probably meant it. Still, she had to
    represent her clients in their best interests. She had to come forward with offers and tell them what
    chance they had to have their day in court, win more than this, ever see any dollars.

Maybe she even said she thought they deserved more, but wasn't sure if they would ever get it.

I said I would serve Jehovah for eternity, and I meant it, but things changed. Many said they would stay
    with their spouse but got divorced. Circumstances change. Most lawyers see the need to change with
    circumstances. Don't flame me for bad analogies. Just stick with "Circumstances change."

• Gerard
    Gerard
    Gerard, I am very disappointed in your disparaging remarks regarding Kim Norris.

For the record: Kim told me she would not setle, so that was disapointing and caused me anger as I felt she lied. Actually, Kim, you are the only one that has brought the WT to their knees. Your work is amazing and my opinion on your change of tactics should have been kept private, after all, I am not a victim but an observer.

I am very happy these victims got closure and substancial settlement. The root of my frustration (that I took on Kim) are the dozens or hundreds of children that are and will become victims of sexual abuse.... We must find a way that this settlement will help them too, but with a gag order, no reporter will want to touch it and the WT is winning.

G

• Gerard
    Gerard

The WTS won't forget they lost money and know stand to lose more if they don't fix-up their broken system though so this WILL potentially affect more change than the publicity IMO. -Simon

That's a good point. Forcing them into multiple settlements (whether gagled or not) will hit the Borganization in their most precious spot: their pocket; so they will need to enforce abuse reports to the police. Now, the general JW population will have to become aware that this settlement has happened and and a lawsuit is an option. But what about child abuses outside the USA?

I am very happy these victims got closure and substancial settlement. The root of my frustration (that I took on Kim) are the dozens or hundreds of children that are and will become victims of sexual abuse.... We must find a way that this settlement will help them too, but with a gag order, no reporter will want to touch it and the WT is winning.

Journalists are not subjected to "gag orders," but will be unilikely to want to report on these events as they are simply not interesting to the general public. Additionally, while I am not privy to the details of these cases, I doubt a "gag order" was issued in any of them. However, I would bet that the Society insisted on enforceable confidentiality provisions in each of the settlements that would restrict the parties and their attorneys from disclosing any of the details of their settlements to anyone other than professionals with a legitimate need to know (e.g., tax preparers) and with the qualification that any such professional also agree to keep the terms of the settlements confidential.

Simon was right on in his comments here. No one really cares about JWs, except JWs and ex-JWs. Reporters of significant prominence are not paid to report stories that interest only a very small, niche market. One should not expect the press to cause the demise of the Watchtower.

These settlements will help prevent Watchtower complicity in future abuse cases, but will not stop such abuses from happening. Given human nature, abuse will occur, regardless of whether the Watchtower is a factor or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit