JWs, Higher Education and Misrepresentation by Barb Anderson

by Dogpatch 34 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Higher education exposes one to information and persepective, along with the critical thinking skills necessary to analyze and evaluate both - too dangerous a cocktail to be served up to the R & F, because the WTS' deceptive practices can be revealed so easily by such knowledge.

• AlanF
    AlanF

The points Barbara Anderson makes in her article are precisely the sort of thing that got me out of the JWs -- gross, entrenched scholastic dishonesty by Watchtower leaders. These men simply have no respect for truth and honesty. No one who has regard for honest scholarship should have anything to do with Jehovah's Witnesses, or with any other Fundamentalist religion that practices similar dishonesty.

AlanF

• Robert222
    Robert222

I agree BizzyBee. But I had to come to that conclusion after many yrs of slavery to the JWs.

I remember JW literature, they think pursuing a career, higher education is "making a name for yourself" and egotistical, pursuing materialism?? It just makes me so angry. Its called living your life. Making a way for yourself, yes, maybe even enjoying life.

No where in the bible does it say we have to live in poverty, uneducated, walking endlessly door to door. Jesus only went from town to town once in his life. Did he say to continually go back to the same doors forever? NO. However, the Borg is a publishing company. So we have to continually sell their mags door to door throughout eternity. No bookstores for them! Walk door to door and force it on people. I might be getting off topic here - but I am angry over the Borg policies that have destroyed my life.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sorry folks, but I can't see much wrong with the Watchtower quotes in this instance. I have seen some genuine misquotations in the literature, but I don't think these are among them.

I would be careful in promoting this sort of "essay". If I read it as a Witness it might rather confirm my belief that apostate complaints are shallow.

Slim

• sf
    sf
    become more effective servants of Jehovah Watchtower Book Publishing BUSINESS.

My mom 'gave up' a very successful carreer...to pioneer for this LETHAL ROTTEN WHORE OF BABYLON.

After discovering and uncovering that monumental amount of corruption, deception, misrepresentation and criminal activity that IS The Watchtower [ JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ] Organization, just how pathetically pitiful is THAT?

Poor woman is going to die a very lonely and disillusioned woman.

Good work Barbara.

sKally

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

................... .. .... /´ /)
    .................... ..,../¯ ..//
    .................... ..../... ./ /
    .................... ..,/¯ ..//
    .................... ./... ./ /
    ............./´¯/' ...'/´¯`•¸
    ........../'/.../... ./... ..../¨¯\
    ........('(...´(... ....... ,~/'...')
    .........\.......... ..... ..\/..../
    ..........''...\.... ..... . _.•´
    ............\....... ..... ..(
    ..............\..... ..... ...\ Thanks Jimbob!

And yes Pioneer Spit, I fuc%ing hate them too!

I look forward to the day when they choke on my book.

Nvr

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The points Barbara Anderson makes in her article are precisely the sort of thing that got me out of the JWs -- gross, entrenched scholastic dishonesty by Watchtower leaders. These men simply have no respect for truth and honesty. No one who has regard for honest scholarship should have anything to do with Jehovah's Witnesses, or with any other Fundamentalist religion that practices similar dishonesty.AlanF

One of the things that started me on my long fade too - for my masters thesis my tutor double checked all my references before I went on to defend my thesis. In hate scholastic dishonesty and misquotation or quotation out of context.

• truthsetsonefree
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

bttt

• Mary
    Mary
    slimboyfat said: Sorry folks, but I can't see much wrong with the Watchtower quotes in this instance. I have seen some genuine misquotations in the literature, but I don't think these are among them.

I guess that explains why Barbara Anderson wrote the essay then and not you.

I would be careful in promoting this sort of "essay". If I read it as a Witness it might rather confirm my belief that apostate complaints are shallow.

Um, if you read the entire article over at freeminds, it's quite obvious that, just as Barbara said, the WT took these quotes out of context to give their own particular slanted view which the authors never intended to make, on 6 million hapless souls. It's kind of like watching The Exodus Decoded where scholars are quoted as saying certain things that seem to support the program. Once you look behind the scenes and see what context the quotations were taken out of, it's obvious that it amounted to academic dishonesty. The WTS has been doing this for decades. If you can't see that, maybe you need a new set of glasses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit