If "My Book Of Bible Stories" was a movie, what would it be rated?

by gaiagirl 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Discussing movies at work this week, someone mentioned "Sin City", a very violent film about honest cops, corrupt cops, and criminals. In this film, justice is administered harshly, and sometimes cruelly. However, the film also shows really evil people receiving "just desserts". Our resident JW stated that "his family doesn't watch any film with an 'R' rating, whereupon I explained that I had seen the film under discussion, and it wasn't any worse than Old Testament violence. I then asked him if he had "My Book Of Bible Stories" for his children. He confirmed that he did, and I asked "So how is it wrong for people to be shot or cut in a film, yet you give your children a book with women being pushed out of windows to be eaten by dogs"? So, what rating would you expect "My Book Of Bible Stories" to receive?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

V and some nudiety

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Sin city is a brilliant film and the point you made most excellent. I immediately was thinking of the jezebel story before I even read your post.

What about the scary pictures of the flood - dying people clinging to rocks?

What about the dramas on the tapes - of Phinneas shagging some Midianite woman and some one giving a running commentary as he gets pierced through by someone as does is sexual partner. That was a very graphic image for me as a 9 year old to enjoy - no wonder I have a twisted view of sex!

• KW13
    KW13

i loved Sin City, MBOBS isnt as innocent as we believe.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I used to read a Bible Story to Zach every night at bedtime. When I "woke up" to it all, but hadn't told him yet, I decided to flip thru the book and just find a light story with no one dying, just a simple, clean story. I couldn't find one! I finally just threw the book away and read him Dr. Seuss.

It would definitely be rated R. Cut out some of the gorier stuff and you might get it down to PG-13.

Dave

• Scully
    Scully

Since there is no such rating as "Too Stupid To Be Taken Seriously", I decline to participate.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Sin City is one of my favorite films, Elijah Wood as "Kevin" scared me so bad. I think if I met Elijah Wood in real life I would cower in fear of him.

I think My Book of Bible Stories would be rated G because the movie would be done in some over-the-top corny way to ensure it's G rating.

Now if it were the Old Testiment brought to life, warts and all, I would without a doubt expect it to garner the NC-17 rating in the states.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

Rated 18A

Not suitable for Children Under 18, Gory Violence, Disturbing Scenes, Nudity, Sexuality

Parental Caution Advised

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

I loaned my copy of the Noah movie (JW) to a return visit and she said it was way too violent for her children. I remember being very puzzled by it. Guess that was what I was raised with. I do remember nightmares over one of the cassette dramas.... I think it was Miriam with the leprosy.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Stupid Fiction

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit