The "Truth" Hurts

by Cold Creek Swimmer 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I might sound like a retard here, but your Dad is an elder and probably meant spiritual immorality? Ok, sounds like a stretch and you know him better than we do. In their minds its impossible for someone to drop the "Truth" for an undefined future. There must be a stronger motive. They know that the strongest motive is the natural one, our body. The cravings of the body are stronger than any love for an organization or groupthink. You must have been drawn away by your desires. I'm sure it's the only thing that has a pull on them since they won't acknowledge the intellectual truth about the "Truth".

The anger is well known to me. It's hard to accept how much time, effort and emotion went into this mindset only to find out that the friendships were all a sham. We thought, as your parents do, that we were on top of the world. It turns out that we are worse off than many "worldly" folks who have made lasting friendships based on who they are, not who we are. Anger fades when you let it go. That's hard to do when your folks are still enmeshed in it all. You'll find a good place to stand soon enough. Let go of anger and embrace life. Enjoy those things left with your family as you build your life.

Your Mom sounds like the real thing. Dad will eventually see you aren't the raving sinner he must expect if he is to justify his own foolish addiction to the Holy Ones of God.

W.Once

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Sorry to hear your story. I think Mom will truly continue to talk with you. Maybe at worst,
    she will play this game. She will offer you food, but not sit down to eat it with you, that way
    they can't say she ate a meal with you. That wouldn't be so bad.

I do not currently belong to any congo, so it would be difficult to talk to an elder about me.

Are your publisher's records somewhere? If you were ever baptized, someone should have
    kept them. Even if it goes back to childhood, a congregation can assume responsibility.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Hi cold creek,

Sorry to read about the run in with your folks.I'ts so sad when you think that christianity is supposed to be a loving religion unfortunatley the way the witnesses practice it, just the opposite results ensue.By coincidence the song Born Free is playing in the back ground and the words are so applicable - Born free to follow your heart,live free and beauty surounds you.The world still astounds you each time you look at a star.Stay free where no walls divide you, your'e free as the roaring tide so there's no need to hide.Born free and life is worth living but only worth living 'cause your'e born free.

Just a thought which might help the situation.If you keep in mind that one day your folks might wake up one day and realize that they have made a terrible mistake.So that you don't end up arguing each time you meet write down on a piece of paper three or four basic questions such as ' if Adam was perfect ,even though he had free will, why did he make an imperfect decision? and If the wachtower preached something as the truth, how can it, now not be the truth, because the truth is always the truth or else it wasn't the truth in the first place? Why did Rutherford build Beth Sarim and buy two cadillacs was he right or wrong? Of course the list is endless but tell your father that ,to help you ,please put the answers in writing and when you get the answer back thank him and give him another four written questions.Keep doing this for as long as you can and say to him that you don't want to get into a verbal confrontation because you love them so much.You could also use the method when the witnesses coming knocking, that way you might plant the seed of freedom.

One last thought I heard Knorr say at a convention it must have been around 1960," this might be the last convention in the old system,next time we meet like this it might be in the the new world."Some prophesy that turned out to be.

Peace be with you.

Edmond.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I can relate to thes very well. I'm a pretty mild mannered person, but when I start talking to any dubs, this rage comes up that surprises me.

Ditto.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Sorry bro.

As both an 'apostate' and a 'sinner', I can tell you that it doesn't matter very much how you play the finer points of the game with the JW family; it's still frustrating and hurtful. I recommend a long-term plan that is aimed at changing how much you need their approval. I'm trying to turn my anger and disdain for them into pity, but it's very difficult. Slowly though.

I went to a shrink last week to get tips on dealing with anger. She was about twelve years old and all she had was: go shout at a tree and take up boxing. It's worth finding an outlet for your anger, especially prior to dealing with JWs. You have to go in cool.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit