Purpose...What is it

by Crooked Lumpy Vessel 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Crooked Lumpy Vessel
    Crooked Lumpy Vessel

After losing my father-in-law last week, who is not a JW, but was a loving, kind and generous man, I find myself pondering that age old question about the purpose of life.

Leaving the JW organization after 15 years, I am completely turned off to religion itself. I am not even sure about the Bible anymore. I dont consider myself completely godless, but I do not participate in any religion. I mean, what human being really has it on good authority what happens when we pass away or what the meaning of life is? We are all but a head with 2 arms and 2 legs. What makes one person's ideas, theories or Philosophies anymore reliable than the guy next to him?

My brain tells me that if it is possible to live right now then it could be possible to live again. That life has to have a purpose otherwise this is all a big waste of time. But then we could just be someones ant farm and death is final and everlasting. Where can a person find comfort anymore?

Confused and grieving.

• journey-on
    journey-on

It's all about the journey...not the destination. "Seek and ye shall find." The key word is "seek". You search all your life for answers. That, to me, is what it's all about. Maybe we'll know in the end...maybe we won't. But you search, think, analyze, speculate, ponder, and decide. Sometimes, something happens and you throw it out the window and begin your search elsewhere. But you continue the journey.

(Kind of like that Martina McBride song: "I Do It Anyway")

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Vessel:

I understand what you are going through completely. After 14
    years in the organization I too was faced and still I am faced
    with these perplexing questions.

However, let's take it slowly and one step at a time shall we?

You say, that you are turned off to religion and for very good
    reason. The chances are good that the Watchtower had something
    to do with your current dislike.

However, please try and seperate religion from the Bible. Organ-
    izations like the Watchtower manipulate and tamper with it to
    make it support their own ideology.

Recently, I purchased a 4 translation Bible and I have decided
    to read it on my own without outside influence. In other words,
    I am keeping an open mind.

The other questions that you raise regarding life "What does it
    mean in the grand scheme of things?"

Open each day as if it were a new gift.

Develop a positive outlook on life and in time you will find the
    answers. Please be patient and do not become discouraged. The
    answers will come to you just maybe not the way you think they
    should.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I am trying to achieve the purpose of my life which is to love, learn and grow, and find what I can contribute to the planet.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

My brain tells me that if it is possible to live right now then it could be possible to live again.

Thats a good one, Ill keep that.

That life has to have a purpose otherwise this is all a big waste of time.

It could be a waste of time. Try to make it an enjoyable waste of time.

Where can a person find comfort anymore?

That also is a good one. Maybe we have entered the no comfort zone. Maybe we have been enlightened and eaten from the tree of knowledge of good and bad.

I used to find comfort from reading the bible. But to stay under the godspell you have to keep your mind simple like a little child.

Comfort = simple mind.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Purpose...What is it

I believe that depends on you

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    My brain tells me

Perhaps this is the problem.

The minds interpretation of life, is not life; its concepts of reality, not real. What vibrant-actuality is genuinely present when attention is shifted away from illusory abstracts like "purpose" and "meaning"?

Doesnt it make sense that we are meant to coincide with multidimentional reality rather than exist in the flatlands of abstract interpritations and false representations?

Discover what it is to be and exist without the minds continual numbing and distracting input. Think, only when necessary; silently delve into the rich and bottomless depths of this present moment of conscious existence.

j

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

IT is HERE. IT is NOW. BE HERE. BE NOW.

Nvr

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    the purpose of life.

Bluntly? Breeding and passing on genes.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Breeding and passing on genes.

And what a glorious and noble purpose that is IP_SEC!

Nvrgnbk (determined to be purposeful)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit