How many remember the 1969 8 day convention?

by seek2find 110 Replies latest jw experiences

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I was there! I was 13 and my knees got sunburned. Ugh. Don't miss those 8-dayers. Or the 3-dayers. Or the Special Assembly Day. Or the meetings . . .

Don't miss nothin'!

Nina

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Mouthy

But did any of you have to go looking for lodgings for the world assembly in Montreal ? We had to do that .Knocking on doors so we could place people coming from other countries, for cheaper lodgings

I don't remember what that year was but I did go canvassing for rooms. I hated it but that was better than preaching

Having to do that in Montreal made me wonder just how we wound up with the roach-infested palce we found. I never would have wanted some poor JW to get a place like that to stay when they came to Mtl

• VM44
    VM44

"Knocking on doors so we could place people coming from other countries, for cheaper lodgings"

Wouldn't having private residents boarding strangers present huge liability issues? I am surprised the Watchtower organized such activities in the past.

How did the Watchtower know the people offering to board the Witnesses were suitable? Did they do any screening at all? Or did they accept anyone's offer with no questions asked?

Would there not be the possibility of putting some JWs in danger?

The Watchtower never has cared for the safety of its members.

--VM44

• horrible life
    horrible life

I remember going out in service with my mom, when a big convention was coming to town. They had a clipboard, and a list of questions to ask. Such as your own bathroom, private entrance, locks on the door. The paper would be turned in to whoever, and the powers that be, would contact them later.

I remember looking at several places, when people would invite us in to look. They weren't bad, I thought, but thinking back, we were on the "wrong side of town". I bet they looked at the addresses and didn't even bother.

• juni
    juni

Thank god I was baptized in 1971. We had the 5 day district assemblies and that was sheer torture w/4 little kids. I don't know how you guys/gals did it!!!!!!!!!!!

Juni

• restrangled
    restrangled

After reading more of this thread, another buried memory came to life. It had to be '66 or '67. My mom with 3 young kids and her best friend also with 3 young kids boarded a bus in Chicago to go to the assembly in Winnipeg Canada. I believe the bus ride was over 17 hours. For some reason, the husbands did not go that year, and why Canada, I'll never figure it out.

I remember sharing one hotel room between the lot of us and having to take baths with the oldest girl from the other family. She was 12 or 13 and grossly overweight. I felt very sickened at the sight of her body. (I was all of 6 or 7). I remember pushing my brothers in a stroller, and shopping at a very large department store. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs had been released by Disney. They had little stuffed dolls of the 7 Dwarfs at that department store. I was allowed to pick one........my choice was Grumpy....I wonder why?

I don't remember the assembly at all. We kids must of been exhausted sleeping on the floor every night.

r

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I remember the 63 8 dayer at the Rosebowel CA. My mom and I drove there from Seattle. HOT HOT HOT.NO BREEZE. I was in grade school. I fainted in line for lunch. My mom and I volunteered at the Snow Cone thing. A billion hornets showed up. My mom was thinking about adopting a kid from a friend who died. He was my age and a complete Eddie Haskell. She even brought him home until he wanted to blow a hole in my brothers stomach big enough to fit his head thru. The end. Sent back. Long Beach Congregation. I remember nothing that was said. Who could understand anything with that reverb from all the speakers. I loved the hotel pool and seeing my mother's family.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Sorry I was saving up for the First Woodstock.

I remember arriving but like a JW assembly the rest is a blur.

Though I didn't look too bad in this photo.

Image result for the First woodstock

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Me? Too young

But I did find this - looks like London only got six days

Post and Chronical newspaper - 'Convention Special' - Saturday 2 August 1969

Front Cover:

Page Eight - picture of Wilfred Gooch and Nathan Knorr

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Chicago, baseball stadium, where the White Sox played. I was 8. I dont remember the sessions at all, but i do remember doing pre-convention work. Back then we would go door to door to find houses willing to put up people in their homes for the assembly ( believe it or not). Sounds crazy now, but some people would actually do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit