A SUCKER FOR BORDER COLLIES

by Dansk 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

Ok, I admit it, Claire and I are dog mad! Last Saturday we travelled to mid-Wales to pick up a border collie puppy! He's nine weeks old and we've called him Ronnie (my son, Dominic's, choice). So, now we have three border collies - and we love them to bits! Already Ronnie is turning out to be a bit of a character.

If you love dogs - or, indeed, any animal - you'll know why we are so besotted!

It's like having a baby in the house again - and it's daddy (me!) who has to get up!

Love,

Ian

• Dansk
    Dansk

Ronnie is named after Dominic's favourite soccer player, below:

Ronaldo secures PFA awards double
    Cristiano Ronaldo with his two awards Ronaldo has had a season to remember so far
    Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo has been named the Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year by the Professional Footballers' Association.

The 22-year-old winger is the first player to win both awards in the same season since Andy Gray in 1977.

The Portuguese star has recovered from last year's World Cup controversy to help United battle for three trophies.

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba was second and Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes third in the senior award.

altLearn the Ronaldo chop

Manchester United veteran Ryan Giggs, last year's winner Steven Gerrard of Liverpool and 19-year-old Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas also made ths shortlist.

alt606: DEBATE Do you agree with the PFA results?

Ronaldo was booed at the start of the season for his part in Wayne Rooney's sending off in the World Cup quarter-final match between England and Portugal in Germany.

But he has bounced back superbly and has so far scored 16 Premiership goals this season to fire United to the top of the table.

The winger said it was a big honour to be singled out by his peers.

He said: "It is a special night. It is amazing and a big honour for me to win trophies like this in the English Premier League. I am very proud.

altI think he is the best player in the world and his season has been incredible Sir Alex Ferguson

"My colleagues have voted for me and that is fantastic because the players know the qualities of players.

"I want to keep working hard and getting better because these trophies have now given me more motivation.

"This great team has helped me because when the team wins it is easier for us all to play with more confidence."

Fabregas was second and Tottenham's Aaron Lennon, 20, third in the voting for the young player award.

Ronaldo's team-mate Wayne Rooney (21) was also shortlisted, as were Reading striker Kevin Doyle, 23, and 18-year-old defender Micah Richards of Manchester City.

Eight Manchester United players made it into the team of the year while manager Sir Alex Ferguson was honoured with the PFA Special Merit Award.

Ferguson paid tribute to Ronaldo, who joined United from Sporting Lisbon in a £12.2m deal in August 2003.

"At this moment in time, I think he is the best player in the world and his season has been incredible," he said.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I had a border collie once.........great dog....friendly, smart

wish I still had him

congrats on your new addition

purps

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Dogs are great, I have 4 cockerspaniels. Enjoy your new puppy.

• DJK
    DJK

My wife and I recently aquired a border collie. She is nine months old, smart, affectionate and very trainable. Last night my wife and I applied a flea and tick product called Bio-spot. It made her lethargic and she agonized quite a bit from it. We shampooed it off this morning and we wont use it again. She is much better now.

Living on the edge of a forest, we have to protect her with something. I will research other products well before I try them.

• moshe
    moshe

My nephew was bitten in the face by their Border Collie many years ago when he was three years old.. The family gave up their Border Collie to a family that lived in the country. There are many stories about how Border Collies and small children have had problems playing together. Once the herding instinct kicks in, look out. I grew up with one on our farm and we never had a problem, but we had animals for the dog to work , too.

The Border Collie rescue website is a good source of information and I would reccommend that anyone thoroughly research any dog breed before they bring it into their home. http://bcrescue.dogsaver.org/want-bc.htm

I would think that the 3 border collies in your home must be very happy indeed. One of our neighbors has 3 of them, too and they are a happy group when I see them playing. The smallest dog though, does not bark- he just squeeks- it's funny!

• Dansk
    Dansk

DJK:

My wife and I recently aquired a border collie. She is nine months old, smart, affectionate and very trainable.

On a recent BBC radio programme the Border Collie came out top as being the most intelligent dog in the world. Rosie, our oldest (three and a half years) never ceases to amaze me.

Moshe:

I take your point about being careful with herding dogs, but all dogs can turn. Strangely enough, some of the smaller breeds are often the worst around children!

Ronnie, our new pup, bit my son in the face today as they were playing but the pup is only 9 weeks old and bites, chews, grabs anything. I don't think he meant to bite my son nastily - he wasn't hurt - but I think he just got carried away with the playing. The pup's teeth are like razor sharp needles. I like dogs with a bit of spunk but you are right and we'll have to watch how he grows up. One thing's for sure, he'll have to know his place with the two spayed bitches, at least for now, and I'm really looking forward to watching him mature.

Ian

• Dansk
  • Sad emo
    Sad emo

My one and only dog was a border collie/Wesh sheepdog cross - she used to round up anything that looked like a flock - usually pigeons!

DJK:

Living on the edge of a forest, we have to protect her with something. I will research other products well before I try them.

For a natural repellent, try garlic capsules. A friend of mine has working Weimaraners and says the capsules work great.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I have a border collie cross - adopted from the pound. Love her to pieces, but she is a bit nurotic!! lol She is smart - but pretends not to be! lol

She loves the water, and to fetch the ball or whatever you will throw for her - she'll go and go forever - we have to stop and say no more because she'd play until she dropped.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit