Anyone find any decent pro-Witness sites?

by IsaacJS2 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 5go
    5go
    Anyone find any decent pro-Witness sites?

• veradico
    veradico

I agree with ninja and yaddayadda about elihubooks.com (Greg Stafford's site), but he recently stated that he will not be responding to people on his chat board until the third edition of his Jehovah's Witnesses Defended comes out at the beginning of August. You can also try Jehovah's Witnesses United (http://jehovah.to/). And the following site has some valid info supporting certain readings in the NWT: http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/newworldtranslation/home.htm

Apart from these, I'm afraid it's slim pickings.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

A fairly decent pro-JW site:

http://www.witnessoftruth.com/articles/index.html

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a fairly comprehensive summary of a pro-Witness apologetics, I think. These comments are from bar-enosh at the PBS site.

http://discussions.pbs.org/viewtopic.pbs?t=74270&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=60

Quote:

Not so. This is simply not the case with the worldwide organization of Jehovah's Witnesses, even if true in certain individual instances. In my area of the world, such statements are exaggerated stereotypes, the standard blather of those with animus against Jehovah's Witnesses.

Candidates for baptism get more information now than ever before, and have already been out in the ministry, have already met a variety of people and philosophies from door to door. There is no effort to "shield" anyone from any informatin about Jehovah's Witnesses, whether positive or negative.

The only control on the behavior of Witnesses is the Bible standard for Christian conduct. If anyne does not hold to this Biblical standard, in what respect are they Christian at all?

As for the world, we teach what the Bible says about it, pure and simple. It is the Bible that says "the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one." Argue with that, and you are arguing with the Bible.

"Dignified exit"? No one is forced to remain one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Because we believe that salvation is at stake, we encourage people to fulfill Christian commitments, including the commitment made at dedication and baptism. But Jehovah does not force people to worshhip Him, and we do not make people stay if they want to leave. Your exist is as dignified as you make it.

Fault can be found with anything that involves human beings. People searching for a perfect religion this side of Armageddon will always be disappointed, and if there were such a religion, they would not fit in there either, being imperfect themselves.

Gripes, complaints, murmuring, accusations, falsehoods....these are all the tools of those who find Biblical Christianity too demanding for them. That was the case in the first century, that is the case today. Same old same old.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"Is the WTS a Controlling, Harmful Cult?"

If I were to search the c/d rom, I am sure that I could find a lot of quotes that seem fair and reasonable. Some articles speak of Jehovah only destroying the incorrigible wicked and that people must not judge others ..Then another article will be howling venom at "worldlings", basically , they cover their back while making sure that the flock get the message that they want them to hear .

The only authorized source of information about them is the WT website or their literature. Anything else is "wrong" for a witness to use or contribute to.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Didn't this site start out as a forum of pro-jws?

• 5go
    5go
    Gripes, complaints, murmuring, accusations, falsehoods....these are all the tools of those who find Biblical Christianity too demanding for them. That was the case in the first century, that is the case today. Same old same old.

Yeah that not doing what you told not to do from the bible, then telling me it's ok for you to do it from the bible was so hard and demanding.

As I remember some of those first century gripes were listen to by the heads back then and something was done about them, and it wasn't tosssing them out it was change the view on them. Not only that but the higher ups ( exJews ) hated it and had to be rubuked not the lower ones ( gentiles ).

• 5go
    5go
    Didn't this site start out as a forum of pro-jws?

Arrrgh, I do believe it did !

Welcome !

Post 1 of 16817
    since 23-Mar-00

40 y 2 m 27 d

Welcome to the newest Jehovah's Witness discussion forum on the Net.

Please register so that you can post to the forum and turn this into a welcoming place for other brothers and sisters online

Forum Homepage |
    Active Topics |
    Member Directory

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

Jgnat, I completely disagree with you. But you have a right to an opinion, even if your experiences differ wildly from mine and many others. My experience is that there are liberal congregations that pop up now and then who ignore the admonishment of the travelling overseers, and that are condemned by their neighboring congregations. You clearly have a different experience. I certainly haven't traveled to all of them. I would suggest that your comments are a little strong, nonetheless.

I won't go too far into this since I don't want to debate with you and since that would take us further off topic. But I do feel strongly compelled to point out that comments such as " Gripes, complaints, murmuring, accusations, falsehoods....these are all the tools of those who find Biblical Christianity too demanding for them" are incredibly insulting and presumptuous things to say. I also disagree with the "not true" part. The criticisms, as you listed them, have at least some merit, even if some of the critics exaggerate the details or are too quick to leap on every conspiracy theory they can find.

You don't have to carry some sort of emotional stigma about your WT years to believe the criticisms, nor must you be a weak person who can't live up to their obligations. My time in the WT ended 10 years ago and I don't have an axe to grind. I simply have an article to write, and I'm actually trying to give both sides their due. Perhaps you should start a thread about why you think the criticisms aren't valid and invite others to offer their side. I might even use the best of your remarks. My thread was just a request for sites I might use to show the WT's side of the criticisms that critics often make. Which is weird, since I would think you'd prefer that approach given the things you said.

I'll certainly agree that there are plenty of sites that go overboard and that attack the Society. They make everyone seem a little crazy and do as much harm as good. I acknowledged this before, and it's why I'm trying to offer a balanced article here. Balance is what we need. I think everyone can appreciate that. I really don't need the other comments that put everyone who disagrees with you down, though. Please, let's not go there again unless its in a thread you create. Thanks for the offering of a web site to review, though. But I would ask you to keep the insults out of the thread before others find them and turn this into a big debate thread. I hope you understand.

IsaacJ

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

I just wanted to thank everyone for making their suggestions of sites to visit. The articles I'm writing are for another site, Austin Cline's Atheist/Agnosticism area of About.com. All kinds of people will be reading them. As always, JWD rocks. Best ex-Witness forum I know of. Glad Tall Penguin pointed me to it.

I didn't realize this used to be a predominantly pro-Witness forum. Guess the name makes more sense, now. Weird how these things turn out.

IsaacJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit