Look What The Cat Caught!!!

by SWALKER 36 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

Where I live in these canyons there is wildlife all around. Many snakes are about and even when I walk outside to go to the laundry I must watch my steps as the snakes come out to sun and under the semi shade of the oaks it is hard to see a snake the same color as the ground. They even hide in the laundry room the landlord said. So one has to be careful at all times up here. Even walking out the front door.....you check first.

My rooster and hens are unafraid and wander all about the fields. (sigh) I worry about coyotes and bobcats, and mountain lions and chicken hawks. I've trained them to come to my call, so I can put them away in their hen house when I go into town.

During a certain time of year all the tarantulas come out and cross the main road. I forget why. Maybe to change their nest sites after the rain or something. Anyway its nice to often see drivers slow down and some get out of their cars to help the spiders cross the road.

Oh I wanted to share a story about a bible study my husband and I had once. A young man who had a love for snakes. His apartment was lined with terrariums containing all kinds of snakes and a large monitor. He also confessed he had some Texas Rattlers, very venemous. He showed us pictures of his buddy's arm after he had been bitten by a rattler. His arm was very swollen to four times the normal width and it had to be sliced down the length and opened up to allow to drain the fluids) Very graphic. Anyway, he quit is study and after a long while we called back on him to see how he was doing. He told us the story of how the police raided his apartment because another snake enthusiast snitched on him about his Texas rattlers. They were at the door of his apartment one day. What do you think he did with the snakes?

He told us he couldnt in all conscience throw them out the back door where children next door might encounter them. So.......

THE MEN NEVER LOOKED IN THE FRIDGE.

Yikes huh?

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    HE FROZE THEM IN THE FREEZER!!!!!!

Doesn't everybody???

Thanks for sharing your country life stories with us Anewme! It sounds like you have an interesting life.

Swalker

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I went out for a walk with Mrs SLH at lunchtime and there is a lake just out the back of Ikea where she works. We were walking along the pavement (sidewalk) that goes around the wooded area on the edge of the lake and we saw two seperate tiger snakes within 50 metres of each other.

What's more worrying is that at the time we were just discussing taking the bikes for a ride round the wooded track right on the edge of the lake at the weekend; we've decided to give that spot a miss until winter really kicks in and the snakes have decided to hibernate.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

SLH...I'd be careful too!!!

Because it is highly venomous, quick to bite when cornered and very common around Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney, Hobart, Perth and Canberra, the tiger snake has been responsible for many snakebite deaths in Australia.

Here is a pic of a tiger snake:

Tiger Snake

You should always walk with one of these:

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Anewme, just view it as a battle cry. I scream whenever I'm doing something life endangering (things like catching birds in the house) too! I remember screaming as I was trying to catch a bird in the basement that was flying at me like a jet plane. I screamed and yelled the whole time I was trying to catch that bird!

I took care of a patient with a rattle snake bite. He had reached to get something on the ground and the snake bit his thumb. His entire arm swoll up and was bursting and weeping fluid. The doctors didn't give him any anti-venom because "they said" that every time a snake bites it doesn't always inject venom. I guess they were right; the guy's airway never did close up and he had no neurological symptoms, but his arm looked like hell! The guy was in severe pain. All I was ordered to do was to keep him narc'ed up, which I did.

Good to know, I suppose. I live by a canyon, so caution about baby rattlers have been instilled in my from an early age. Poor guy.

My next door neighbor, not long after she moved in, found a rattlesnake near her front door. She had a death grip on my arm. I resolved not to go outside at the same time as she did...lest I be recruited to deal with random threats.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

SWALKER - that's what the buggers looked like, one was a juvenile which are more aggressive than the adults. We have seen tiger snakes before and they generally just carry on about their business so long as you make lots of noise and do not try and catch them.

There are loads of them in and around Perth, especially in wet areas arouns lakes and rivers; apparently they quite like eating frogs.

There have been a number of fatal bitings in Perth as more land is cleared for housing developments, moving the wildlife out of their natural habitats and into closer proximity with humans. I'll have to get a harness and lead for our cats, they normally bring us birds and mice but I reckon they would give a snake a good run for it's money

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    There are loads of them in and around Perth,

I admire your courage to live there!!! Import more cats!!! LOL!

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit