I need a good book to read...

by liquidsky 29 Replies latest jw friends

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

It's cold and rainy and I'm out of reading material. I need a good book to read. Any suggestions? Preferably fiction.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

The Earth Children Series by Jean M. Auel

Snowflower and the Secret Fan by, I believe, Lisa See

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

The Silence,

I just finished reading Snowflower and the Secret Fan. Great book! I'll check out the other two. Thanks!

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

The first is actually a series of 5 books starting with 'The Clan of the Cave Bear'. Some people find it difficult to get through the first few chapters, but once it picks up they can't put the book down.

Jackie

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Have you tried Kurt Vonnegut books? Slaughter House Five, or Sirens of Titan.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

The Red Tent is also a good book, though I can't recall who wrote it.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I read Clan of Cave Bear a long time ago, but never any of the other books in the series.

Onthewayout,

I remember being required to read Kurt Vonnegut's Slaugtherhouse Five in one of my literature classes.

• Makena1
    Makena1

My wife and I recently went on a trip to the mainland. 5+ hours each way on the plane. I forgot to bring something to read.

She had Obama's, The Audacity of Hope (definitely non-fiction, but an excellent read), and One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus.

I read the Jim Fergus and finished it on the return flight. Excellent story - the review is in this link.

http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guides3/one_thousand_white_women1.asp

PS – I usually do not watch movies on the plane, but thoroughly enjoyed Will Smith and his son in The Pursuit of Happyness.

Aloha
    Makena

• choosing life
    choosing life

Angels and Demons by the guy who wrote The Davinci Code. It is not religious, but rather a novel. very well written.

Liquidsky, I just love your user name. Conjures up emotion.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Anything by Nora Roberts, a very prolific writer. Fluff stuff, but good reading. Better than Danielle Steele.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit