Gene Smalley and the Watchtower's Blood Transfusion Doctrine

by Dogpatch 41 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

Randy: I'm a long-time former elder who used to be in close contact with dubs who were heavily involved in this matter, including HLC members, "bloodless surgery" directors and others with a "no blood" non-profit organization that shilled for the WTS.

I can attest that, on the front lines, the ones with half a brain do know their policy is flawed and and thrilled by the rapid change in dub doctrine on blood. Years ago, they used to pray daily that either the end would come or some bio firm would pass all the FDA trial stages with a blood substitute and make this all moot. These days they have a new hope, that soon the WTS will settle the blood issue for good by making transfusions a conscience matter. They're almost to that point now (one could almost argue they've arrived).

This "whistling past the graveyard" mindset is coupled with their general disdain for the rank and file - because so few of them actually "get" what the Society says each time it offers up an adjustment. When you are the JW go-to guy at the hospital and 98% of the dubs who present do not have a DPA, or even a current blood card, it's disheartening. All the typical dub wants to ask you is; What can I take (i.e., what does the WTS say I can take)? When the options are spelled out, the vast majority are "all in" with respect to the WTS' guidelines. So, in effect, it is a conscience matter already - but it's the program coordinator's or in some cases the HLC member's conscience, not the patient's.

Just my two. Keep up the good work!

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Passing this information on to further flesh out the discussion:

Additional Information from my mole in response to this article: (3/30/07)

Gene Smalley wrote the entire 1990 Watchtower booklet on blood, "How Can Blood Save Your Life?," the one that Kerry Louderback-Wood wrote her essay about which she titled, "Jehovah's Witnesses, Blood Transfusions and the Tort of Misrepresentation." The essay appeared in the Journal of Church and State, Autumn 2005 issue. The information about who wrote the blood booklet came from a a Legal Dept. staff member who was complaining about Smalley having the ear of certain GB members and that's why they won't listen to any Watchtower attorneys who have problems with the accuracy of some statements in the blood booklet.

Smalley is also author of Watchtower "Questions from Readers" columns. And many blood doctrine announcements and changes have been found there since 2000. It is assumed that any other statements about blood and blood fractions in the Watchtower originate with Smalley or are passed through Smalley's hands for editing because he's the resident expert.

Also, notice Watchtower physician, Dr. Schiller's published reply to an article which appeared in the April 2007 issue of ANESTHESIA & ANALGESIA where in paragraph two of his reply he comments about a "1981 position paper" which appeared in JAMA written by Dixon and Smalley. Schiller quotes that JAMA paper where Dixon and Smalley explain that Witnesses "rule out transfusion of whole blood, packed RBCs, and plasma, as well as WBC and platelet administration. However, Witnesses' religious understanding does not absolutely prohibit the use of components such as albumin, immune globulins, and hemophiliac preparations; each Witness must decide individually if he can accept these." Incidentally, on page 30-1 of the 1990 blood booklet can be found an article written by Dr. J. Lowell Dixon, "Blood: Whose Choice And Whose Conscience?" where in paragraph 7 is a quote taken from Dixon and Smalley's 1981 JAMA "position paper." Further, Gene Smalley appears in the recently released documentary, "Knocking" CD extras where there's an interview with Smalley. That documentary features the positive side of Jehovah's Witnesses and their blood transfusion doctrine.

In conclusion, we see Smalley as author of the "How Can Blood Save Your Life? booklet; author of "Questions From Readers" columns which have discussed answers to specific blood transfusion and blood product questions; interview in "Knocking" documentary CD extra where his "blood expertise" shines through; and a blood "position paper" that appeared in a 1981 JAMA article. So there is ample evidence of Smalley's blood thumbprint found in Watchtower no-blood management theories as discussed in Watchtower literature.

Randy

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I can attest too that Smalley is highly regarded by the big wigs at Bethel. Further he is one of the "given ones" or GB helpers. He is highly regarded in his Brooklyn, NY circuit as very influential with the GB.

tsof

• sf
    sf
    In order to retain such arcane teachings while appearing to allow their members much freedom in matters of doctrine and conscience, the Watchtower Society has had to publish one set of rules to their followers in their literature (and more importantly, by oral teachings not specifically spelled out in print), yet another to the public media and the governments. It is noteworthy to mention that the Watchtower is not averse to using what they call “ theocratic warfare 3 ,” which is defined as not disclosing to the enemy what they are not deserving to hear (in this case, the enemy can be anyone who is not favorable to the Watchtower Society, such as “worldly “ governments and news reporters).

Yet, redunant now, due to the internet.

{{{ Dannyboy }}} So nice to 'see' you.

Wonder when Joel {Knocking producer} will be coming out with the DVD of Kerry and Smalley, in debate.

sKally

• sf
    sf

2 DOCTORS TELL OF TREATMENTS JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ACCEPT AP Published: November 29, 1981

Doctors are finding more ways to treat and perform surgery on members of Jehovah's Witnesses without the blood transfusions that most of the sect's followers reject, The Journal of the American Medical Association has reported.

Many doctors once avoided treating Jehovah's Witnesses, but attitudes are changing and more physicians now consider their care a medical challenge, according to an article in the Nov. 27 issue.

Operations are now done successfully with substitutes for blood transfusions, according to the article's authors, Dr. J. Lowell Dixon and M. Gene Smalley of the medical and research department of the world headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Dr. Dixon, a surgeon, acknowledged in an interview that many physicians might be frustrated by a patient's refusal to have a blood transfusion, but he said, ''Doctors are finding that they can get by on a lot less blood than they once thought they could in an operation - or not use blood at all.'' 'Beliefs Can Be a Problem'

''As patients,'' he went on, ''we acknowledge that our beliefs can be a problem for a doctor, but taking that as a consideration, doctors across the country are finding that they can treat us and are considering us not as fanatics, but as exceptions and challenges.''

There are half a million Jehovah's Witnesses in the United States, the Journal's article says. Citing Biblical passages that, they believe, rule out transfusions, members of the sect will not accept whole blood, blood cells or plasma from donors.

Members will accept nonblood replacement fluids, synthetic alternatives and some blood proteins. They will also accept techniques to reduce the flow of blood in surgery, such as electrocautery, or lowered blood pressure or body temperature. Those methods, Dr. Dixon said, are available in well-equipped hospitals.

The Journal article said doctors had successfully performed operations including major urologic and orthopedic surgery, posterior spinal fusion, and cardiovascular surgery. Operations Without Transfusions

Dr. Dixon said he had not compiled statistics on how many operations had been done on members of Jehovah's Witnesses without blood transfusions that might normally be required.

He and Dr. Smalley quoted a 1977 article in the Journal that reported 542 cardiovascular operations had been performed on membeers of Jehovah's Witnesses without blood transfusions. It concluded that the procedure could be carried out ''with an acceptably low risk.''

The authors of the 1977 article surveyed 1,026 operations and determined ''that the risk of surgery in patients of the Jehovah's Witness group has not been substantially higher than for others.''

sKally

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

This article just leaves me scratching my head. Subject is Gene Smalley and the Watchtower's Blood Transfusion Doctrine. I see several comments about this Gene Smalley and his role at Bethel. I also see some interesting information regarding the JW blood doctrine as it has changed and morphed over the years. But nowhere was there any connection between the two topics. Is there a connection, something more than A) Gene Smalley is a Bethel heavy and B) Bethel is responsible for promulgating Watchtower doctrine?

???

No Apologies

edited to add: Ok Randy I just saw your followup with the proverbial missing link. Disregard my comments above.

• blondie
    blondie
    In conclusion, we see Smalley as author of the "How Can Blood Save Your Life? booklet; author of "Questions From Readers" columns which have discussed answers to specific blood transfusion and blood product questions; interview in "Knocking" documentary CD extra where his "blood expertise" shines through; and a blood "position paper" that appeared in a 1981 JAMA article. So there is ample evidence of Smalley's blood thumbprint found in Watchtower no-blood management theories as discussed in Watchtower literature.
  • Gayle
    Gayle

So this is Gene Smalley's pet doctrine about the blood?,,so do you think he has been an influence for the adjustments about the fractions, etc. which I think it a good development (tho not enough). Maybe it will take a while for JWs to develop on the "conscience" part if/or when they become personally affected with the blood issue. I know the organization really doesn't want the JWs to be able to use their "own personal conscience" because once that starts, there's no stopping and the "domino effect" starts. You mentioned Gene is the one accountable about "Questions from the Readers." Makes me think of the Questions from the Readers in the May 1 WT, regarding the "new light" that the heavenly calling is not done yet. Could Gene Smalley have been at least partly influential in that? One wonders. I know he wasn't a partaker about 30 yrs ago but maybe he does now or is going to this year?? I did housekeeping in the Bethel library 30+ years ago and Gene would come down (his office was on the 9th floor occasionally to speak with some that had offices there surrounding the library. One girl (she later left Bethel and later married a CO, I think) did some of the typing for the brothers there and one day she was teasing Gene about his office being the "Most Holy" because his office didn't have a door, only a curtain.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Unprecedented Top ranked all 3 search engine

Jehovah's Witnesses Blood Ban Conception Deception
    Tehachapi News, CA - 15 hours ago
    In addition, many countries that would have banned Jehovah’s Witnesses as a religion because of denying life-saving transfusions have been issued public ...

Yahoo!

News Search Results for "jehovah"

(Results 1 - 40 of about 175) Sort Results by: Relevance | Date

1. Can one man be largely responsible for the death of untold thousands? The history of authoritarian religions in our ... Tehachapi News - Mar 30 1:46 PM Subscribe! Recent communication with a whistle-blower from Watchtower headquarters in Brooklyn who has been there many years, and is privy to certain information from their Legal Dept., reveals hitherto unknown secrets regarding the controversial blood transfusion doctrine among Jehovah’s Witnesses. Save
    More servicesLive Search

Results

• Jehovah's Witnesses Blood Ban Conception Deception
      Gene Smalley and the Watchtower's Blood Transfusion confusion Recent communication with a whistle-blower from Watchtower headquarters in Brooklyn who has been there many years, and is privy to certain information from their Legal Dept., reveals ...
      • Tehechapi News
      • · 16 hours ago
  • compound complex
    compound complex

bttt - Thanx again, Randy!

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit