Holy Crap! 7 years!

by Jourles 27 Replies latest jw friends

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Wow. Happy 7th Birthday!!

7 years ago I was a high school senior. I was irritated because my parent still wouldn't let me date. I was disappearing every single afternoon to go "see"..(ahem) my now ex-husband. I would have never gotten into the mess I got myself into if my parents would have talked with me and compromised so I didn't fell like I had to run away from home in May of '00. The stupid WatchTower ruined my life in more ways than one. Thankfully, 5 years later I got away from them.

• Mulan
    Mulan

It's 6 years for me, almost exactly. I remember I was in Hawaii on vacation, with my laptop, and one of my young friends told me about Simon's board. She sent me the link and I signed up right then.

It's been great therapy for me, and I've some truly wonderful new friends that I cherish.

I am like some of you, who have commented already. I check in everyday, to do my mod job, and see if there is something I need to take care of, but I seldom post anymore.

I'm sure glad it's here though.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Isn't 7 some sort of prophetic number in the Bible?! LOL

Seven years ago we were about nine years into our fade. We acquired a computer about three and half years ago and almost immediately found this board. It took awhile (about a year) to get up the nerve to register and another year before I got the nerve to post anything.

Cellist

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

7 years ago.....wow.

At that time, I was a little kid, completely oblivious to the world around me. Blindly serving and doing what my mom told me. I expected to live forever, even though the concept was odd to me, even then. It just didn't seem right that I should live forever.

I wasn't old enough to be bothered by the fact that everyone else would have to die for it to happen. I didn't even really realise it.

I was severly limited mentally :P . I wasn't even me at that time. Just some mindless shell, waiting to hit puberty and develope a personality.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Well done you must be one of the first members of this forum since from what I see it started on March 23rd 2000 just a few days before you joined. There probably aren't many people from those early days still posting. At that time I was preparing my plans to go to France to learn the language, I did so in July 2000.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Jourles~congrats on a full 7 years out. It is good to see and hear of people getting and staying out AND thriving.

In answer to your question, 7 years ago, I was pregnant I believe. I was not in a good place at all and was about to embark on the most extensive self learning process I have ever undertaken. It was hard and well worth it. I had been out for quite a bit at the time and I thought I was doing just fine. Come to find out, I had but repressed so many things and as I found out, at one point or another, your body and mind will MAKE you face it all. That was where I was. I am in a much better place now and I say the struggle is all worth it. I feel so good and if there is a bad day, it is nothing compared to all the bad days I spent in the 'society' trying to be something I am not.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

i was a happy JW, (except for when I was bawling at the WT study because I never could measure up)

I was preggers also. Cant remember much else....

I did not find JWD until 9 months ago, and lurked for about 4 months before posting.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Seven years ago I was angry and confused.

I knew I didn't want to be a witness, but I was going through the motions hoping eventually some divine spark would light upon my brain and I would finally "get it", but also to just keep the peace between my family. I was also getting pretty good at living my double life. My sister was pregnant with my nephew.

I wouldn't formally break with the witnesses and have the "talk" with my parents about my feelings as a JW until 01. I was fully prepared to have to drop out of college and move out on my own somehow.

I came here in 02, convinced I didn't need to be here, but curious none the less to hear other stories - and to vent my own frustrations with my parents. Living at home while I went to school - while trying to be my own person and not go to meetings. This was a good place to vent for me then.

Now - I actually have the best relationship I've ever had with my parents. Something I never would have fathomed when I first joined up here. We actually like each other...and while it took years, awkward conversations, and out and out screamfests we have actually come to a respectful place with each other. In that respect, I feel very lucky...and it makes me feel like I am old to think about how long ago that all seems now.

Thanks for making me feel old Jourles...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit