Is it just because i was raised a JW?

by helncon 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• helncon
    helncon

Yesterday (sunday) we went to our daughters church for family service as they have these at the end of each term for the Kids club (sunday school) and if you don't know about my beliefs that i don't have any and i am one not wanting to have anything to do with any religion.

Anyway there are a few things that caught my attention during this service as i normally tune out but they were talking about how jesus was telling a parragul (sp?) about sowing the seeds and then it all came flooding back of the memories about how the JW used this, and you know it was strange as this church was saying things almost identical to what the JW would say.

This is not what i was wanting to mention but i thought this was interesting.

So after all the service they have a morning tea for everyone afterward and i got talking to the minister/father/pastor (don't know what the head person called) wife and the subject come about christmas and i told her that this was not as important as when Jesus died and that he wasn't even born on 25th december she was taken back that he was not born on this day as i told her he was born earlier in the year and i explained how this is the reason, she was gob smacked!

I thought this was common knowledge so i wonder if she will go back to her husband and ask questions if this is true.

So i ask the question is it common knowledge that Jesus was not born on this day and it is a pagan holiday or is it a JW thing

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I know alot of born again christians who know that Jesus wasnt born on Dec 25th.

Most born again Christians would agree that his death/burial/resurrection are of utmost importance.

What denomination was this?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Well, helncon, yes and no.

The fact of the matter is no one knows when Jesus was born. Not even Jehovah's Witnesses. You know that there are some pagan traditions associated with Christmas, but you only believe this makes it a pagan holiday. Most people I know would disagree, even if they know about the pagan traditions.

Much the same as the use of wedding rings is not necessarily pagan even though the custom is steeped in pagan traditions.

Or the art of writing.

Or shaving.

Or oh so many things we think little of but which had their origins in pagan traditions.

You were one of Jehovah's Witnesses so the things they infected your brain with you still believe, to a degree. Such as, "If it had pagan origins it is pagan." This can become a huge barrier to normal social interactions. It was a tough one for me to overcome on my exit.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• aikichristian
    aikichristian

When you start out in a new faith, you still need to grow in it even though you may be a full member.

Your new religion uses the Bible, and so does the JWs. So, don't be surprised if you hear some of the same themes. Each Christian (or claiming to be Christian) religion bear similarities between them. Some even use the same translation of the Bible.

There are many things you will have to unlearn, learn, and relearn as you continue in your new faith-walk.

This is akin to starting a new habit or breaking an old one. But in this case, it is both. That is why conversion and growth is a difficult and not-short process. It takes investment, which is why your decision (or compulsion) to switch must be done for very good and concrete reasons.

Christmas is a very hard thing for JW's and recently former JW's to understand or accept. Dec 25th was designated the day of the celebration of Christ's birth. It is not so much the exact date that is important, but more the reason WHY it is celebrated. True, Christ's death and ressurection is more important, but if He was not born, then He could not have died for our sins. Additionally, the birth of Christ, one whatever day it occurred, was honored by shepards, angels, and the 3 kings/magi/wise men.

• helncon
    helncon

Yes the JW mindset is very hard to break. Even though i have been out for over 10 years.

I think this church is Anglican. Forgive me for not really caring on what it is i have no real care for any religion.

The first time i ever went to antother church for a service was back in December last year and i went with a hang over but i just did it for my daughter. But it was enough for me not even wanting to be there i remember that half way through the service i almost started crying for the turmoil that it was causing, i promised myself that it would not happen again but i almost did again on sunday it was hard.

Like i said i believe that my daughter needs to have some kind of religion in her life and she enjoys it i can answer any of her questions that she may have and i know that she would love us to be there every sunday but its too much i may even come around and start going but i know its just not for me i have no inclination of religion.

I just know i am never going back to the JW.

Helen

• Carmel
    Carmel

Hmmm, so I'm to understand that Jesus' dying is more important to humanity than how He lived and what He taught? carmel

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yep Carmel, and that is why we celebrate Easter

• aikichristian
    aikichristian

I do find it saddening that you've lost all interest and trust in religion because of your experience as a JW.

Avoiding such turmoil will not make it go away. You may need to confront this "turmoil" or "pain" you're going through. You may have a lot of resentment, etc. that you need to process and heal from.

You also need to be careful of how you answer your daughter's questions regarding religious beliefs of the church she currently attends. Are you giving her a uniquely JW perspective? What you may understand as "a matter of fact" may be just what the JWs taught you, and not how it really happened or "should be".

There is a long discernment process still ahead of you, and it will be there so long as you do not confront the issue.

You're probably worried that you'll end up in the same JW-type shoes you got out of 10 years ago.

• helncon
    helncon
    You may have a lot of resentment, etc. that you need to process and heal from.

I just feel that i never had a choice in what i wanted to be but then again i did have a choice in being baptised as a JW but this was for different reasons other than wanting to be a JW and i truely never believed.

You also need to be careful of how you answer your daughter's questions regarding religious beliefs of the church she currently attends. Are you giving her a uniquely JW perspective? What you may understand as "a matter of fact" may be just what the JWs taught you, and not how it really happened or "should be".

I answer her questions in an everyday veiw not as an JW opinion i can think outside the square.

I believe that Jesus's life was for a purpose other than just dieing for us what he taught and his life actually meant something for ALL of us.

He has great teachings.

Helen

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

I don't think it's necessary to discard everything we learned as JWs. Many of the beliefs predated the Watchtower. Russell borrowed much from other belief systems as noted by James Penton and others. Christain individuals have to make decisions based upon scripture, not upon popular customs.

As far as celebrating the holidays, one should seriously ask the question whether or not the customs associated with them are based upon the teachings of Christ or that of the pagan religions. Most encyclopedias document the origins (and even the dates) as coming from pagan sources. In view of God's warnings in scriptures to Israel and to the church about keeping oneself "pure and undefiled" it is proper to give consideration to these matters.

I remember reading an old Baptist publication years ago that gave the same arguments against celebrating Christmas as do some religious groups today. (WWCG, Watchtower, etc.) We shouldn't dismiss these points just because we no longer accept the Watchtower as an authority.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit