First Post

by Rethinking 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rethinking
    Rethinking

First time posting, long time lurking.

Came upon this site on accident a few years ago and dismissed it as a site for disgruntled people; however, in the past months I actively searched for it as it stuck in my mind. Believe it or not, I practically read all of the topics. I felt, Wow, I wasn't alone in my thinking and feelings about some things.

It all started years ago in my last year in high school and then into college. When papers/thesis/comps were required. Students had to cite their sources of information. I thought, hmm, the Watchtower and Awake never (or rarely) cite their sources and they're supposed to be "superior" periodicals. Admittedly, there were/are a lot of things that I didn't/don't agree with as far as teachings/doctrines but I just kept/keep them to myself and say the truth or answer will be found out one day and just go/went with the flow.

A few months ago, a co-worker was telling me some things that were happening in her church that she felt was wrong. I thought, Wow (again) those very things are happening in my congregation!!! Way deep down inside, I felt that Jehovah's Witnesses were/are just like any other religion - trying to find the truth, trying to spread the truth in the way that they understand what truth is. Doesn't make it right. I recently went to Bethel and had the "privilege" of eating lunch there. Of course, the conversation centers around "spiritual" stuff, not down to earth things like "what is your favorite color" if you really want to get to know someone. One of the bethelites at the table was asking about the territory and I mentioned that there were still some neighborhoods that I hadn't worked in despite living in the area for years. And he immediately said, "Oh, so you don't get out much in the field service." That really turned me off because he was so judgemental. For all he knew, I could have been in a coma for a few years or lost my ability to walk!!!

There are many WRONG things that are happening and through this site I can see that I'm not the only one experiencing or 'witnessing' such evils. I mean, we all can't be crazy. We, who've most likely never met before, can't be making these things up, right?? I do believe, however, that the religion/ denomination or whatever you want to call it may have been on the right track a few decades ago, but things seem to be falling apart drastically and speedily. I also must say that being "raised" in it has made me who I am. Meaning I'm not a criminal, I'm a hard worker, I speak well especially publicly and can do research and present a speech and such like that. However, I do have a mind of my own and am glad that my family has their minds also in that I was encouraged to do well in school so that I could go to college (which I did) and wasn't beat over the head with simply pursuing a theocratic career. I was able to participate in school activities and travel. I think that was a good balance.

Just thought I'd share.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Hello and welcome! Yep, you're right.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I was just ready to turn off the computer for the night when I saw your post..... WELCOME!!

However, I do have a mind of my own

ut oh.... you're "dangerous"...

and am glad that my family has their minds also in that I was encouraged to do well in school so that I could go to college (which I did) and wasn't beat over the head with simply pursuing a theocratic career. I was able to participate in school activities and travel. I think that was a good balance.

sounds like a great family....lucky you. Again, WELCOME .... we look forward to your posts!

D.E.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Welcome to the board, Im sure you have already read some of my posts, so you probably know me, even if we havent met. Please stick around and enjoy the board. There are always new things to learn about the JW's, even I get surprised every now and then.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Welcome to posting. It is a big step sometimes. You are right, we can't all be wrong. And things in jw land are falling apart quite rapidly lately. Glad to see you had good parents that were looking out for your future by encouraging you to get an education.

They discourage college because the Watchtower can't stand up against critical thinking.

• What-A-Coincidence
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Welcome. I know why you feel it is just like a lot of other religions. It is. I think it is more controlling than many I have known, but I have seen a couple that compete quite a bit there! I also think they are full of a lot of BS that is pretty harmful to families and individuals-and I think you have seen evidence of it personally, even though it seems you had good balance in your family-maybe even your congregation. I don't think most of the JWs I know are particular bad, though some are just nuts. Which I could say for about every church I have gone too. The teachings, especially the non-biblical ones are onerous and obnoxious. Many churches with those man made teachings, pretty much aren't into enforcement the way the WT is. It is the enforcement that leads to the control issues. I think they are a bunch of pharisees, but that is just me - and thousands of like minded ones;)

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Welcome Rethinking, nice to "meet" you.

I enjoyed your post. I think you are a rare breed if you were actually encouraged to go to college. That's fantastic. Wish I could say the same. On the contrary, I was "marked" (and my friends threatened to lose or not attain "privileges/responsibilities" they dreamed of) for pushing through to completing Grade 12, in a hall where the power players were all dropping out at Grade 10 to pioneer.

I relate to your comment about being raised in it made you who you are. I imagine going to college and having such reasonable family support played a role in shaping "you" too.

I was born and raised in it as well and see both good and negative effects. One of the greatest challenges in leaving for me was that I identified for so long (and almost exclusively) with being a witness, and I kinda left myself dangling when I made the (rather sudden) decision to not identify with being one. Of course, there's always work. (ha.) Never a dull moment. :)

Not sure where you're at with this, and sometimes old habits die hard, but I'm finally finding it really nice to just BE (human) without the weight of being an extension of another person, group or organization's ego. *contented sigh*

LIFE is good.

SPAZnik

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Rethinking,

Nice to hear from you, I'm pleased that you saw them for what they really are.

"Oh, so you don't get out much in the field service."

There was a period when I was unwell with an exploded disc - I was on my back for four months. As a consequence the elders accused me of not being consistent on field service and took away certain "privileges" that I had because of that - lovely, lovely christians aren't they.!! They certainly are judgemental.

Kaytee

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Hi rethinking - glad that you have enjoyed the board privately for a while and delighted that you have decided to post a bit and share your experiences.

What do you think has changed significantly between the religion today and how it was a few decades ago when you thought they were on the right track?

crumpet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit