Will we see the GB replace 1914 with a new date in the next 30 years?

by nvrgnbk 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sspo
    sspo

They don't have to.

With the explanation or changed viewpoint of the generation in 1995, there is no need to change since it allows for an indefinite time

for this system to go on.

The majority of the witnesses do not stop and meditate on what they are being fed by the GB.

They truly beleive they are used and directed by Jehovah and they can do no wrong.

Look at the changes they have made in the blood doctrine, very few understand it, most are willing to take all the fractions of blood allowed,

if they would only stop and think, they would realize it's nothing but a joke but they blindly obey like zombies.

• Zico
    Zico
    The majority of the witnesses do not stop and meditate on what they are being fed by the GB.

I agree with this sspo.

Very, very few JWs are aware of the 607 date conflict. I really think they'd lose more JWs by changing the 1914 date, then they are currently losing due to the 607 date. The GB must believe this themselves, or otherwise they would have changed it when the problems arose in the 70s.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

SSPO, your comment sums up all the words we used. Great post.

I add this- I think they are studying the Revelation book for the 4th time, so that they
    can prove to current JW's that they know what they are talking about as far as 1914 and
    the years afterward, but then not publish anything new about it for a long time.

Doctrine that is not constantly repeated is forgotten. I have read that statement somewhere
    and I love it. Perhaps it was from Steve Hassan. Anyway, I expect that they will not keep
    publishing study material that refers to 1914, but they will focus on other stuff for awhile, and
    eventually, they will be able to start publishing 1914 again, but as a "We were always right"
    type of article, not a "We had to change our doctrine" article.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

I've been out since Sept '99 but effectively they've ALREADY dropped 607 haven't they?

They still say Jerusalem was destroyed then but hasn't the 2520 days stuff been dropped from all recent books? When they replaced the "Live Forever" book with the "Knowledge" book they dropped the sections that explained the chronology linking 607 to 1914 along with the "generation" and just used the "signs" as evidence.

Have any publications after 1995 had the "chronology" in?

• Zico
    Zico

They still say Jerusalem was destroyed then but hasn't the 2520 days stuff been dropped from all recent books? When they replaced the "Live Forever" book with the "Knowledge" book they dropped the sections that explained the chronology linking 607 to 1914 along with the "generation" and just used the "signs" as evidence.

Have any publications after 1995 had the "chronology" in?

Pubsinger, The book 'What does the Bible really teach?' has the full chronology in an appendix. This was released at the 2005 Convention. It's also explained in their Daniel commentary, I don't know the release date for that, but it was after 1995.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

You've surprised me there Zico (aren't you too young to remember Zico!)

I thought that they'd faded it even tho they still officially believe it. They must be mad still putting it in print

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

OTWO said:

Anyway, I expect that they will not keep
    publishing study material that refers to 1914, but they will focus on other stuff for awhile,

I would tend to agree. That's why that's the first thing I looked for in the Bible Teach book when it was released. I was shocked, and still am that they focused on it as much as they did therein. I think some of the GB must still believe it. Talk about denial.

Nvr

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

If they ever drop 1914 (which I doubt they ever will) it will not be for decades yet.

They don't need to drop 1914 and make up a totally new date. The solution is quite simple: bring in the 120 years parallel between Noah's time and link it to 1914. They can easily apply this 120 year period to 1914 to extend the timeframe out to around 1934, tied in with some scriptures about how it is not delaying and is panting on to the end, etc. 95% of JW's would swallow this hook, line and sinker.

A couple or so years ago they dropped a massive hint in this direction in a Watchtower study article that provoked a lot of discussion on the internet.

But they will hold off as long as they can before introducing this already hinted at 'new light' because to do so now would lead to many leaving, thinking that they may as well go out and enjoy the world for a while since 2034 is so far away. So this won't be revealed for another 10 years or so, at least.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    2034 is so far away. So this won't be revealed for another 10 years or so, at least.

Yes. I think I posted this here on page 1. But they have to wait until the drones
    (shorter than typing rank & file) get tired of the end being so imminent, and
    numbers are clearly going down. They will try a few other things before they
    resort to the same date-setting that worked in the past. I imagine they can't use
    2034 until sometime after 2014 (100 year anniversary of Christ's presence) passes.

In the meantime, they might just focus on retention, tightening up and abandoning
    recruitment in established countries. Recruitment will be for developing countries.

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

There are a lot of interesting years coming up. September 11, 2008 will make 7 years since the attacks in New York and Washington. For those who believe that event marked the beginning of the 7 year great tribulation that date will be exciting.

The Mayan calendar ends on December 21, 2012. Sounds like a good date for the end of the world.

As mentioned the year 2014 will mark 100 years of "parosia." The borg will probably try to create some excitement about that year but do so very back channel. Nothing in print, nothing said at the conventions, just a "well I heard brother so and so say that brother so and so said that brother so and so at Bethel said . . ." So many layers of plausible deniability that no one would be able to say anything close to what was being said before 1975. 2014-15 is also significant because that will be 80 years since the sealing of the anointed in 1935. Can anyone say. . .one more try at that 80 year generation thingy?

Then of course there is 2034. Swear to God I suggested this idea many years ago to my now ex wife. Back when I was a faithful jdub. My ex was talking about how close the end was or had to be and I said I wasn't so sure. I remember saying to her that 120 years went by in Noah's day before the end came so maybe it would be the same now. She then said that there was no way this system could last another 20 years much less till 2034. That had to have been back in the year 2000 or so. I don't remember seeing that in print anywhere. That "apostate" thought just came to me on my own. It would be interesting if that "apostate" thought turns out to be the next big date the Society sets for the end. There I go again, running ahead of the organization. Getting light from Jehovah before the faithful slave does.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit