Marry Only "In the Lord"

by JBean 14 Replies latest jw friends

• JBean
    JBean

Hi all. This subject has always been a sticking point for me. Never really understood it enough to agree or disagree with it. I for one have been married twice... once "in" and once "out". Both didn't work out... but I gotta tell ya... married to the man outside JW's was MUCH more rewarding and normal, as far as normal goes! The question is this: what does marry only in the lord actually mean?!?!? I'm once again grappling with this issue in a relationship I'm in right now. Much thanks in advance for any thoughts.

• LDH
    LDH

It means whatever you think it means. Seriously. Yet another example of Paul passing his opinion off as the Law of Christianity.

Lisa

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Having been in a mixed marriage (religion) I can see the wisdom in "Marry only in the Lord" Marry someone whose faith practice doesn't contradict your own, it saves a wealth of arguments.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• sweetone2377
    sweetone2377

I can tell you a little about my current position in my marraige. My DH is a "Christian". He doesn't go to a church because all they preach is tithing. I myself am exploring religious possiblities right now. You can say my religion is "confused". Now, I'm not even sure about the existence of an all powerful God. I haven't said anything about how I feel untill recently and it seems to really tick my DH off. He says I should'nt think or say such things. That what I'm feeling is wrong. He doesn't know so I just ignore him.

So marrying someone with similar religious beliefs as your is easier then marrying the complete opposite. Same with politics.

• messenger
    messenger

Let's see when that was written it was for Jews and about Jewsby a Jew. So I guess it means if you don't marry a Jew God's hates you. Hmmm wonder who thought up that concept? Could it be the same people who thought up the law that if you do yard work on the Sabath you should be killed?

I don't want that bunch telling me how to live my life or how to find God's approval.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I read a book this summer, called "The Red Tent", about the women of Laban's family. (Jacob, Rachel, Leah, etc.) It makes it clear that the command Jacob had from god, about marriage, was 'to marry among your own people' .........your own family, if you will. When you read the book, it becomes very clear that Jacob married women who were definitely NOT of his same religion. But they were of his 'kind' and same family too.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• JBean
    JBean

Thanks for all your replies so far! Mulan: by saying his "kind"/family... do you take that to mean his ethnicity or race or people in his community or what? Also, I'll read that book, but what examples made you draw the conclusion that he married those not of his religion? Thanks again everyone... you guys are the best! I can't believe that I'm actually asking questions to relative "strangers" who are so kind... and have never been able to ask these questions to my JW family (for obvious reasons!) It's so refreshing!!!

• Mulan
    Mulan

I knew that was going to come out wrong, and everyone would think I meant 'race'. I meant family. Jabob also had the concubines, and remember one was a black girl. I read that comment in a book review, so was looking for the point, when I read the book. Obviously Jacob worshiped one God, while Laban's family were idol worshipers, and had all the superstitions and rituals that went along with it. Remember the ritual the women performed with the little idol on Dinah when she got her periods?

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• JBean
    JBean

Marilyn, so the "one God" issue is what counts? As long as the potential 'significant other' believes in the ONE god theory it would be ok? In other words, two people who get together and one workships the Lord (Jehovah/Jesus) and the other worships say, Buddha... that would not be approved? Sorry if I'm sounding dense, but of course it stems from years of the JW point of view that "only in the Lord" means only within the JW faith.

• Mulan
    Mulan

From my point of view, people should marry whomever they want to marry, and religion should not be a factor. I was only commenting on what the Bible might have meant in context, in that book.

I didn't mean to imply it was my viewpoint. I know people in mixed religon marriages, that are very, very happy. Some of my JW friends had better marriages, if they were both NOT dubs. The problem would be when one feels the other should believe as they do. Why? What difference could it possibly make?

Religion can be a terrible divider, so let's do away with it!! John Lennon was right, in the song "Imagine". It would solve almost all the problems of the world.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit